Free Space on C: Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartech

In Runtime
I have 5GB partition on drive C:. This partition is used for windows XP only (page file, temp, etc. are on other drive).

When I've created partitions I was sure that 5 GB will enought for c:, But now, if I click o properties of drive C: it reports, that it has only 320 Mb free, and 4.70GB used. Then, if I enter to the C:, select all folders and files (view hidden enabled), and see on it's propirties, it reports, that the size off all this is only 3.90 GB!!!

So, what is using so much space (almost 1GB), and how can I free more space.

Thanks.
AndreiD

Hmmm....are you sure there isn't a pagefile on C: also, or maybe an unused one from when you had it on C: that hasn't been deleted yet?

i've checked the my comp's properties for page file, it displays that the page file is allocated on D: drive only (672MB-896MB).

and I can't see it on both drives, even if hidden files view enabled, is it any other way to check it?

So, is it any way to free up this "lost gigabyte"?
Or at least to find out what using it.

Hey, thank you for advice, MicroBell.
I deleted the ServicePackFiles Folder, and all folders like $ServicePackUninstall$. By this I freed up almost 1 GB on C: drive. I also disabled Hibernation.

But C: drive still about 500MB space used, but unmonitored in my comp (as it was with 1 GB before), any more ideas about this?

BTW I frequently use Hibernation, but I want to move it to other drive, any ideas how to do this also?

Thanks.
AndreiD.

MicroBell said:
..snip..
Ummm..I said the ServicepackFiles folder...not the $ServicePackUninstall$ files. You can't remove any of the service pack updates now...as you have deleted their uninstall files..hence if you select remove in add/remove programs you'll probably get an error when you try to remove the updates.
On the other hand, if they are updates you've had on there for a while, you're probably safe. I generally move them over to a CD-R after they're older than 6 months or so. They do chew up some room.

I was going to guess system restore files, too. Someone already mentioned that. You might download and try Treesize just to see if it shows you anything you didn't notice before.

Yes, I know that the $.....Uninstall$ folders are used to store data, wich is needed to restore the sysem to the state befor eupdate was done, or in other words, to uninstall the update. But I almost sure that i won't do this, so I deleted it. it also nice idea to store this files on CD, but it is already too late for it, but I'll keep it in mind for the next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom