Decisions, Decisions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
get the AMD and flip out for a Phenom II... the WC setup wont benefit a Q9300 (because the FSB will limit you before temp ever will) and you wont have to shell out for good DDR3... the q9300 is a decent chip, but you'll need alot of patience and a bit of skill to get it stable enough to get good benchmark results... the 940, however, can be OCed to over 4.5GHz on water with a decent level of stability (mind you that's not exactly easy)

so even though you'll probably get better clock for clock performance with the yorkie, the extra speed will more than make up for that gap

Why you are comparing 940 to Q9300, when Q9400 is cheaper than 940 ?

because I can get a q9300 for quite cheap, and with my current setup a PII would be much faster, but costlier. I have a 9600gt right now, but will probably look for a card that has HDMI on it for the TV I'm hooking it up to.

No...its not.

my cpu score in 3dmark06 @ 3.0ghz is 4510...philbars is lower at 3.2ghz.

his: http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/9058/wootwootyu6.jpg

mine: http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/8004/sp3220090116183658ri6.png

Core 2 is faster clock for clock than Phenom 2, look at this comparison of a Q6600, i7 and PII 940 all at 3ghz. The Phenom loses across the board.

AnandTech: AMD Phenom II X4 940 & 920: A True Return to Competition

It's possible philbar's overclock was not completely stable which would cause him to have lower scores.

Core 2 is faster clock for clock than Phenom 2, look at this comparison of a Q6600, i7 and PII 940 all at 3ghz. The Phenom loses across the board.

AnandTech: AMD Phenom II X4 940 & 920: A True Return to Competition

It's possible philbar's overclock was not completely stable which would cause him to have lower scores.

lol, the benchmarks speak for themselves.

Higher cpu score = faster.

And a core chip not stable at 3.2ghz?? Gimmie a break...my chip is faster clock for clock..deal with it.

lol, the benchmarks speak for themselves.

Higher cpu score = faster.

And a core chip not stable at 3.2ghz?? Gimmie a break...my chip is faster clock for clock..deal with it.

Did you even look at those benchmarks from anadtech?

The fact that he is running vista could be completely responsible for the difference in score. And yeah a Core 2 chip can be unstable at 3.2ghz, it's called not having enough voltage.

Explain how a 2.6ghz Q9400 has abut the same performance as a 3ghz Phenom 2 940 if the 940 is faster clock for clock.

Did you even look at those benchmarks from anadtech?

The fact that he is running vista could be completely responsible for the difference in score. And yeah a Core 2 chip can be unstable at 3.2ghz, it's called not having enough voltage.

I dont care about those benchmarks.

I have the system right here, he has his system as well.

Thats more valid to me than a benchmark site. And yes im quite sure his run was stable if he finished 3dmark, and has had the cpu at a higher clock.

You can dance around it all day long...but the fact is the 940 is faster.

I dont care about those benchmarks.

I have the system right here, he has his system as well.

Thats more valid to me than a benchmark site. And yes im quite sure his run was stable if he finished 3dmark, and has had the cpu at a higher clock.

You can dance around it all day long...but the fact is the 940 is faster.

So how is a 2.6ghz Q9400 has abut the same performance as a 3ghz Phenom 2 940 if the 940 is faster clock for clock?

And making it through 3dmark doesn't mean the overclock is necessarily stable. I got a lower 3dmark score with my cpu at 3.4ghz than 3.3ghz because of a unstable oc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom