i7 Basic OC question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedman3d

Fully Optimized
Is pushing the i7 920 to 3ghz from 2.67 really as easy as moving the blck frequency up to 150?

No voltage increases or anything else?
Would have at least Noctua after market cooling for sure.

depends on the chip, but most likely yes

of course your mobo might up the voltage automatically if its set on auto

what is your voltage set to? My auto voltage was set to 1.29 but i've gotten down to 1.01 and it's stable at stock speeds :| so they def give these to much auto voltage. But anyway...if yours is still around stock voltage without changing it you can probably get higher than 3.0

I dont have one yet. Still running my main rig with a Pentium 4. Just wondering when it comes round to it.

Doing that, getting it to 3GHZ, what would my RAM be running at (its G.skill rated at 1600MHZ).
PS: It will be a P6T non Deluxe mobo.

depends what divider you use... there should be an option which will give you 1600MHz or very close to it

Sorry could you explain that a bit more, im new to overclocking in general as ive never had anything good enough to do it on.

If you set BCLK to 150mhz, you have an option that will let your RAM run at 1500mhz

i dunno all the multipliers exactly, but i know that 1600mhz is NOT an option if BCLK is 150mhz..

I think its 8,10,12 but don't quote me on it, and im too lazy to restart my comp

yeah 1500 will be plenty... plus you can keep the timings nice and tight which will give you a noticeable improvement in everyday performance

The G.Skill set is rated at 9-9-9. I can get the OCZ's for the same price that come at 8-8-8 but i preffer G.Skill as a brand. What do you recon for this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom