AMD Overclocking Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official AMD Overclocking Thread.

I haven't messed with the RAM yet, so I guess straight up. As for the HT Link, they go in 200mhz increments... like, 200mhz to 1000mhz. it's set at 800, but obviously it's over 900...should I set it for 600?

ya, you could drop it down to 600mhz, which would in turn o/c to 696mhz i believe.
that would get rid of any potential limits from that so you can go straight after the processor.

same with RAM, set it it 333mhz and the bus will over clock it to around 400 settings where it's designed to run - eliminating any problems there as well.
if you boot and it's smoother and more stable, then it was possibly one of those 2 pieces of hardware. if not...might be the max she wants to go.

I'll try it after I'm done downloading this giant file, rofl. This is actually my first time OC'ing anything, so I didn't want to mess with the HT or RAM unless I had an idea. I knew about the voltages already, but that stuff was foreign, haha.

You want to keep the HT under 1000mhz, so lower the HT multi as needed. Also running your memory above spec can make it unstable. If you know what it is good for then keep it there but if you have no idea then keep it at stock settings.

You want to keep the HT under 1000mhz, so lower the HT multi as needed. Also running your memory above spec can make it unstable. If you know what it is good for then keep it there but if you have no idea then keep it at stock settings.

They don't give me a multi setting for the HT, just the different mhz. I'll set it at 600 on my next run.

As for the RAM, dropping it to 333 would possibly make it unstable? I don't mind messing with the RAM, since at my max OC it's not super stable anyway, as long as I get something to shoot for.

no it will not be unstable. your RAM will run at PC2700 instead of PC3200 when you drop it down to 333.
technically it's slower but when you increase the bus speed it starts to increase the RAM speed as well.
since your RAM is rated for 400mhz you can o/c the 333 to 400 with no performance decrease or instability because 400 is what it should be doing.
your just setting a divider between the cpu/bus speed/RAM to initially slow the RAM down

See, that's what I figured, since PC2700 is slower, and it's rated at 3200. I'll mess around with it in a bit and let you all know how it went.

EDIT:

After going into the BIOS to mess around with the RAM and such, it looks like I can't mess with the speed like that...it gives me options to mess with timings, but that's it...I'll take a photo later to show you.

Messed with the HT, bumped it down to 600mhz, but I couldn't even boot with the settings I hit before, BSOD'd me to death. Maybe if I could figure out what to muck with in the memory settings, I could push a little more juice.

this is the only O/C guide i remember seeing on here.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/overclocking-basics-temperature-guide-20319/

as for hitting 3.5Ghz...that is going to be pretty tough if it's the 9950 in your sig (but not impossible). the ACC on your board should help out but 3.2-3.3Ghz should be not all that hard to hit once you get used to overclocking. then when you become 'seasoned' 3.6Ghz is not unheard of.

basically:
1. fine your max cpu on stock voltage by upping the multiplier 1x at a time - 13x is stock i believe [200*13=2600mhz] so put it to 14x and reboot to windows. if it loads, increase to 15x and so on until you blue screen.
2. once you start to blue screen, it means you need more voltage. so increase it by +.025v. stock voltage is around the 1.30v give or take .015v due to "v-droop", so this would increase it to roughly 1.325v. reboot (still using that max multiplier you found). if your O/S loads your voltage is fine. if not, increase it by another +.025v.

basically overclocking is trial and error. i'm not 100% sure on phenom max voltage but i'd suggest not going above 1.425v on air...maybe even 1.4v...until your more comfortable.3

Thanx bro! I'm gonna mess w it right now.. I found a Good "OC'ing for dummies" type vid on Utube.

I went thru this whole thread looking for Phenom 9950BE specs.. I just want to know what I can set my MEM to.. It's 1066, so I think I'll leave it at 1k.

9950 is not TOO bad. Over clock it to 3.00ghz and run your games with affinity set to two cores. Then you can run two games at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom