Seagate Barracuda

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 is the second-most-recent line of those hard drives. The new line is the 7200.12, which currently only comes in 500GB (on one platter, I believe). The 7200.11 are generally very good hard drives. But the 7200.12 data sheet (http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_barracuda_7200_12.pdf) suggests that they should be much better than the 7200.11 line. Also, since the 500GB 7200.12 is on one platter, it should run very quietly and stay very cool.

I tend to stay away from seagate now after seeing 3 drives fail in a row.

First 2 (500gb) gave up about after a week and started grinding real bad and the 3rd a 750gb just died all together and wouldn't even spin up.

It seems as seagate are cutting back on quality any more :mad:

Take a look around the net for info on the 1.5tb drives and you will see they are nothing but crap too

I bought two seagate drives less than a year ago, and one has already failed on me.

Bought a WD640GB to replace it instead.

i have 3 Seagate 7200.11 drives, a 250, 500 and 1TB.
250 has been good for 3yrs, 500 1 yr, and got the 1TB this xmas. So far, no problems.

All of the above is anecdotal evidence. My anecdotal evidence: I've had a Maxtor 200GB external hard drive for almost 4 years; I've had 250GB and 320GB WD externals, and the 320GB died after about a year and a half (the 250GB is still going after about three years); I have an Acomdata 1TB drive that has been fine for the four months or so that I've had it; and I have a Seagate 500GB internal in my new computer (about a month old). Only that one WD hard drive has died, and I revived it recently by tearing apart the enclosure and reformatting the drive. (It's now being used as an internal drive in my new computer.) But none of my personal experience affects the quality of any of these companies' hard drives on any larger scale. The fact is that hard drives have moving parts, and are therefore bound to fail at some point. Seagate is a reputable hard drive company with a 5 year warranty, whereas other companies generally offer 3 year warranties. The only really reliable thing to do is to get several hard drives as backups.

i cant find the page i saw it on last night but is there any ups or down with a external hard drive

I bought two seagate drives less than a year ago, and one has already failed on me.

Bought a WD640GB to replace it instead.

Western Digital FTW!!!

Got a WD640GB in my set up as well. Will probably pick up a second one whenever I have spare change lying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom