Gaming processor AMD or pentium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixfeetdeep

Baseband Member
Looking at either the Athlon 64 2800+ or P4 2.4 800fsb, dont want to spend more that $150.

Main application will be gaming, but also want good speed.

Will be added to a 9800 pro, 80gb seagate, 1GB PC3200, 500watt psu.

What are the +/- of both and for over all performance what would you pick?

Well.....the AMD will wipe the floor clean with that 2.4GHz....now...the 64 2800+ has 1.8GHz but don't let those numbers fool you...this is a 64bit processing chip....this means it can do twice as much percycle as that other one......all AMD's are built upon the fact that they can do more instructions per clockcycle than intel in the first place muchless with this 64bit processor. the P4 will probably run at cooler temperatures...but I'm telling you if you want it for gaming...HANDS DOWN...AMD 64.....unless you can't afford it I'd suggest going for a 939 processor and mobo but those are pretty dern expensive =/ But still...if you're going 754.......go with that 64 2800+ over the P4 2.4 anyday

EDIT: BTW.....the 64 2800+ chip alone is $137 and thats not including taxes and shipping...let alone the other $100 you'd need for the motherboard unless you have both an AMD 64 Socket 754 board and a Inte-whateverthehell Board lying around

Nubius said:
Well.....the AMD will wipe the floor clean with that 2.4GHz....now...the 64 2800+ has 1.8GHz but don't let those numbers fool you...this is a 64bit processing chip....this means it can do twice as much percycle as that other one......
actually, it being a 64-bit CPU doesn't making it faster, it's the architecture

I agree with apokolipse.

The reason that the frequencies of the Athlon64 compare much higher to Intel than the other series - Is in fact because of the architecture itself, and not the ability to process 64 bits per clock cycle.

Well yeah obviously they wouldn't keep the same architecture as their bartons or thoroughbred...I figured that would be 'assumed' but I'm saying still though...AMDs can compare to a higher clockspeed intel because they can simply perform more instructions per cycle....and thats just the normal XP series...you go from that to a brand new 'assumed :p ' architecture and the fact they have always been able to carry out more instructions and add ontop of that its a 64bit processing unit! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom