Sonofjohn

Baseband Member
I am currently having issues with today's games. Right now I am running:

AMD Athlon 64 at 2.4 ghz
512x2 Corsair xms memory
7300 GSOC video card
500w Power supply
Windows XP

Right now I currently play Warhammer Online and am having massive issues with the performance. If there was a way I could get around upgrading, whether it be overclocking or physically modding the rig, I would do it. As it is the rig is almost unupgradable, especially the graphics card.

So I am thinking I am going to have to build a new rig. This time, I would like to get the best bang for the buck, while being able to play today's games, specifically Warhammer and maybe some of the newer engines like the crysis engine or the UT07 engine.

So far I have come up with these parts:

BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

HIS Hightech H487F1GP Radeon HD 4870 1GB
Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H487F1GP Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

The rest should be easy enough to get (hard drive, cd drive, ect). But I have yet to determine the power supply I want.

Really, if there is any way you guys think I could rig this beast to be able to play Warhammer on low settings without lag, even if just to tide me over until I can get the new rig, please tell me. I have yet to overclock seriously and it seems as though I could get a performance boost if done correctly.

If it helps at all, it's not really that Warhammer has many frame rate problems as much as just every once in a while either crashing, or having severe graphical errors. If I can get any software to help or any different drivers I will.

The parts you have chosen seem pretty good, however instead of the q8200 you should buy the q6600. It runs faster, has more memory and is easier to overclock. (It cost $10 more than the q8200). Other than that, the computer looks fine.

Also, I don't think you will get any sort of performance boost in Warhammer with your current computer, that card is very weak and it's a fairly demanding game.

Regarding the power supply, anything over 600/650w will do.

Thanks for the info. Also yes I have to agree the q6600 would probably be best. I overlooked the 2x4mb cache and saw the 1333fsb.

Also, would a 7900gtx run WAR at all? I see someone is selling one in the B/S/T forum, but I cannot contact them.

The parts you have chosen seem pretty good, however instead of the q8200 you should buy the q6600. It runs faster, has more memory and is easier to overclock. (It cost $10 more than the q8200). Other than that, the computer looks fine.

Also, I don't think you will get any sort of performance boost in Warhammer with your current computer, that card is very weak and it's a fairly demanding game.

Regarding the power supply, anything over 600/650w will do.

woah wait. Did you read his list? He has an incompatible cpu and mobo. Good thing Vern caught this.

Yea, thanks for the info, realized that after a quick look on the page different fsb.

FSB has nothing to do with it mate. Look at the socket. The processor uses an LGA775 socket but that motherboard is AM2+. First thing is, they aren't the same which means a no go, second is the CPU is an Intel and the motherboard is an AMD which should also cue you in. Also the q8200 is an odd choice. Get a Q9550 or a Q9400 if you want a quad or an e8400 for a dual core. As for a motherboard get this:

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

It will actually work with the cpu.

Yeh you that board is for AMD chips only - i suggest you look at the new Phenom II 920 or 940. If you want an intel chip look an lga775 board (with the exception of i7 chips).

Dang, how did I miss that? Well in that case should I go with a new board and keep the q6600 or go for a new amd chip on the same board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom