Commputer won't boot up unless I hit the reset button after it goes through POST! Any

Status
Not open for further replies.

therascalking

Devious Techie
*Computer won't boot up unless I hit the reset button after it goes through POST! Any ideas?

so i built my brother a new computer for christmas, and everything works just fine, except one little detail. he claims when he turns it on, it runs through the initial POST information to start up. just when it should launch Windows XP, it hangs with a blank (black) screen, and nothing else happens! if he pushes the reset button, it boots again, and goes right into XP without a problem. Any ideas how he can get it to boot correctly the first time? thanks! - RK

Re: Commputer won't boot up unless I hit the reset button after it goes through POST!

can you list the hardware in the rig please? it actually sounds similar to an (unresolved) issue i've had with my current machine, though what happens with mine is when rebooting from linux it will stall just after the end of POST and require a hard reset to boot.

Re: Commputer won't boot up unless I hit the reset button after it goes through POST!

Im guessing. That there is something that is pluged in that it is trying to boot from.

can you list the hardware in the rig please? it actually sounds similar to an (unresolved) issue i've had with my current machine, though what happens with mine is when rebooting from linux it will stall just after the end of POST and require a hard reset to boot.

can do, its a:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ CPU (stock cooled)
Gigabyte S-Series MA78GM-S2HP Micro-ATX Mobo
2 x 2GB G.Skill 800Mhz PQ's RAM (i think PQ's... the blue ones.)
EVGA Geforce 8800GTS 640MB GPU
Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU
Western Digitial RE2 500GB SATA HDD
Antec 300 Case

that should be all that matters... nothing is OC'd, bytheway... lemme know if you need any more details to help...

Switch off legacy USB support and quick boot in BIOS and try again.

ill have him try this... thanks! :D

Im guessing. That there is something that is pluged in that it is trying to boot from.

uhm... so youre saying to try checking the boot order in BIOS? o_O

thanks for the help everyone! :] - RK

Yea. I had a friend that it would take like 20 min to boot his computer because he had his ipod plugged. Wierdest **** ever.

my mobo does that too. excecpt for only i have a flash drive plugged in or my external hdd is plugged in. try looking in the bios and disable something like boot from usb, or what ever it is called.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom