Inxile

Beta member
System Specs:
  • RAM: OCZ Reaper 4GB DDR2 1066MHZ - 2 x 2GB D/C Kit PN - OCZ2RPR10662GK
  • CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ @ 3.0 GHZ
  • MB: Asus M3A78-EM (Micro ATX)
  • GFX: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB PCI-E
  • HDD: Western Digital 320 GB HD - WDC WD3200AAKS-00B3A0 ATA Device
  • Power Supply: Enermax 535 Watt - Model #: EG5659-VE (4 months old)
  • DVD-Rom: TSSTcorp CDDVDWSH-S223F ATA Device
- Windows XP x64
- Windows Vista Ultimate x64

The Problem:

When I install Windows XP x64 or Windows Vista Ultimate x64 randomly during start up on the splash screen, my pc will just freeze.
Then you have to restart it, Windows will give you the option to Load Last Known Good Configuration, Load Windows Normally, or Load in Safe Modes

Now you can go either route, Load Last Known Good Conifguration, or Load Windows Normally, and it will usually freeze again at some point during the splash screen.
I had turned on my boot log, saw it was freezing on acpti.dat or w/e (power management driver) I updated my bios ver to like 1305 and i thought it was fixed

But it didn't solve the problem, its so random, sometimes it won't freeze at all for awhile, then sometimes you have to restart and hit either Last Known Good Config or Load Windows Normally like 5-10 times, then it will finally load.
So I thought it was fixed but its not. I have been putting up with it for a few months, but I want it fixed.

I thought maybe it was WinXP x64 and a driver issue, so I tried Vista Ultimate x64, but same freeze.
-checked memory with Memtest86 & Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool in Vista, no errors.
-checked hdd with HDD Regenerator, no bad sectors.

I gave the boot log to a friend, they said from looking through it, the motherboard is to blame, something possibily faulty (looking on google, appear the board is pretty garbage, lots of problems)
I've also been told the HD is to blame, so I want to know for sure, so I don't go out and buy a new one for nothing.
Also if it is the motherboard, its not very old, like all of it I bought 2 months ago.

Would ASUS mfg warranty replace it? or am I out the cash.

Code:
[B][I][U]CPU-Z 1.49 report file[/U][/I][/B]

[B]Processor(s)[/B] 

Number of processors	     		1
Number of cores	             		2 per processor
Number of threads	     		2 per processor
Name	                           	AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Code Name	                	Windsor
Specification	                	AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
Package	Socket                  	AM2 (940)
Family/Model/Stepping	    		F.3.3
Extended Family/Model	     		F.43
Brand ID	                	4
Core Stepping	                	JH-F3
Technology	                	90 nm
Core Speed	                	1004.5 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed	      		5.0 x 200.9 MHz
HT Link speed	               		1004.5 MHz
Stock frequency	               		3000 MHz
Instruction sets	               	MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
L1 Data cache (per processor)	        2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache (per processor)	2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache (per processor)	        2 x 1024 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size

[B]Chipset & Memory[/B]	 

Northbridge	                 	AMD 780G rev. 00
Southbridge	                 	ATI SB700 rev. 00
Graphic Interface	      		PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width                  	x16
PCI-E Max Link Width	      		x16
Memory Type	                 	DDR2
Memory Size	                 	4096 MBytes
Memory Frequency	      		200.9 MHz (CPU/5)
CAS# Latency (tCL)	      		5.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRCD)	      		5 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP)	      		5 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS)	      		15 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC)	      		24 clocks
Command Rate (CR)	      		2T

[B]System[/B] 

System Manufacturer	        	System manufacturer
System Name	                   	System Product Name
System S/N	                   	System Serial Number
Mainboard Vendor	        	ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Mainboard Model  	        	M3A78-EM
BIOS Vendor	                   	American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version	                   	1302
BIOS Date	                   	12/26/2008

[B]Memory SPD[/B]	 

Module 1	                 	DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 2048 MBytes, OCZ
Module 2	                 	DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 2048 MBytes, OCZ

[B]Software[/B]	 

Windows Version	              		Microsoft Windows Vista (6.0) Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 6001) 
DirectX Version				10.0

Pop one of the 2gb dimms you have installed there out until you see a fresh of either on and running normally. The 64bit editions of XP and Vista alike suffer the over 2gb problem when first going to install.

Once Windows(either) is up and running you then shutdown to add the other 2gb dimm back in. This problem is strictly related to 64bit Windows and not any particular edition since Windows 32bit installs here with 4gb on without a glitch.

i will give that a try, sounds like you maybe right thought, not sure til i test.

cuz i bought all these parts few months back, installed xp 32bit right away (was only os i had), and i don't think i had this issue, til i went x64
then decided since i went dual core and stuff, i should be using x64 for the extra ram, and make use of my cpu in 64bit

so then i got a copy of xp x64 and thats when i first experience problem, first time windows restarted after a driver install
then i reinstalled and it happened during windows restarting itself for set up stuff
then i lived with it for awhile and other day i tryed vista, with same result,

i really hope that solves it

so your saying to take out 1 stick, reinstall, and set it up, then put in 2nd stick
i assume if the problem still exists then its not the x64 ram issue, causing it

First you would take one of the dimms out in order to see if the 2gb+ factor weighs in there. Others have seen boot problems after a simple upgrade from 2-4gb. Yet the 64bit version of 7 beta went on without a hitch here.

Something's going to be different with the next Windows out as long as you can find drivers for certain things then. Video cards, sound cards no problem. Older hardwares, addon devices, dsl setups strictly seeing 32bit only?

ya so i tryed taking a stick out and reinstalling

i thought it was going great, restarted fine many times, but it froze soon after on splash screen

looked in motheroard manual and noticed i had ram in my A2, B2 slots, and it said if only 2 use A1, B1 for dual channel

still didn't help, i have done:
-reset cmos,
-updated to newest bios, 1306
-disabled various on board devices
-put both sticks back in A1, B1 (dual channel)

At least you made some progress and can pretty much rule that out. Were you able to get the 64bit versions of the board drivers on?

The A1, B1 or first slot on each channel typically are used when having two dimms installed. Since that board has an AMD chipset the best place to look for chipset and other drivers for the board is at Support Home

That will SMbus, cpu patches, etc. you may have to have on if there's no problem with the board or drive found. Support for the drive along with Lifeguard diagnostic tools are found by selecting the type of drive(ide, sata) at WD Support > Downloads > Select Product

You may find a reference in the faq section for the problems being at one of those or the Asus support site itself. But pay attention to any information seen in case of a blue screen or in the event viewer.

The one thing to try for the time being would be with only one dimm in to see if the problem persists or you can troubleshoot from the desktop. If any buggy drivers went on that would be another to look at.

the problem can happen before any driver are installed.

like during a win xp x64 installation.

wd doesn't have any drives etc to download, i've checked the drive with other software, no bad sectors, etc

i've tried just 1 stick of ram, the freeze still happens

i've looked up tis motherboard, and appears its a very bad board, lots of problems with it.

i've posted on asus site, all i ever get is check your memmory.

talked with the place i bought it at 2 months ago, they can have it repaired or replaced, but will take like 8 weeks,

so i dunno if i should just go buy another motherboard, have this one replaced, then keep it as a spare or something, 8 weeks is a long time to go w/o a motherboard

8 weeks! :eek: It depends where you order from I guess.

Some time back a friend saw 3 boards in row(same make, model) replaced with the replacements arriving before the previous was sent back. That was at an unnamed vendor there.

A different model or make and model was the advice to see a good running system after. Those were doa however from the start where the vendor stated they probably got a bad batch in.

Nothing is ruled out for you there while it seems a bit odd to see Windows on and then stall with no drivers on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom