PC Shuts Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man_Dog

Beta member
Ok sports fans here goes.

My PC while playing any game or running any stress test shuts off. No BSOD no beeps no nothing just shuts off. After a shutdown I can turn it back on, IF I wait about 6-7min or 2min if I disconnect the AC cord and plug it back in.

TEMPs VOLTs and FAN Speeds

Temperatures
Motherboard 28 °C (82 °F)
CPU 29 °C (84 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 37 °C (99 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 44 °C (111 °F)
SPP 48 °C (118 °F)
MCP 50 °C (122 °F)
GPU1: GPU 49 °C (120 °F)
GPU1: GPU Ambient 39 °C (102 °F)
GPU2: GPU 50 °C (122 °F)
GPU2: GPU Ambient 39 °C (102 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 1985 RPM
nForce 5181 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.14 V
+3.3 V 3.18 V
+5 V 5.09 V
+12 V 12.09 V
+5 V Standby 4.82 V
VBAT Battery 3.10 V
3.3V Dual 3.18 V
FSB VTT 1.19 V
DIMM 1.81 V

This is in IDLE

Here are the SPECS

MOBO EVGA nForce 680i SLi
CPU E8400 with ARTIC COOLING HSF
MEM OCZ DDR2 800MHZ SLI READY 4 x 2gb
5-4-4-15 2T 1.8V suppose to be 2.0 but it MFG suggested 1.8 for stability
EVGA 9800GT x2 SLI MODE ON
1K PC&P PSU
Vista Ultimate 64 SP1

After 10min or so of game play, WOW or FFXI, LOTRO etc PC shuts down. TEMPS never go higher than 55c on anything. this includes the video cards. I recently applied AS MX-2 thermal paste to everything. It had AS 5 thermal paste originally. Temps haven't gone up but actually have gone down 2-4c on the SSP and MCP. CPU GPU are the same.

This seems to be a overheating issue but with all of the temps appearing within I think normal range the PC shouldn't shut down.

Ive ran stress test and after 10min or less PC shuts down, ran 3DVantage and that caused PC to shut down. Ran MEMTEST programs and no errors even had it run overnight to test all 4 sticks for 9+ hrs and no issues.

Ive ran the PC with the bear minimum of components and same issue just seems to take a little longer for it to shut off. I'm kinda at my wits end, have read pages and pages of trouble shooting to no avail. Before i start replacing MOBO CPU or PSU i wanted to see if anyone has read or seen a similar issue.

Much Appreciated.

are you sure you set the heatsink on the CPU properly? Sounds as if it's not set all the way on, or you have TOO much thermal paste... you only need a rice size drop on there to spread around. Also... make sure your system is clean... dust out all the parts (again) if needed... dust kills a machine quick.

yea i took off the HSF and reapplied AS MX-2 again today. heres the thing and i kinda feel like a *******, i noticed today that my fans were set up incorrectly. When i purchased this system from a big company *cough*Alienware*cough, i thought highend system is pretty much plug n play. some fans were sucking air out when they should be pushing air in.

My memory or the PSU were more than likely choking on hot air.

that might take care of it, but if it's shutting down for heat, (which it MAY not be, BTW) that would take an AWFUL lot of heat inside the case to do it... so I'm don't think that would be the case... correct flow is crucial, yes... but I don't think the case here.

I dont disagree, its still only been a couple of hours since i switched the fans around. i was on the phone with support all day today and there gonna send a tech out next week to replace the CPU, its what they think is causing the shutdown. i tested the MOBO out by taking out all the components and just leaving the bare min. in it to no avail. switching out the fans and placing the PC in a different area in the room to improve air circulation so far has done the trick.

My first thought though was the PSU since i didnt have this issue till i installed the 2nd video card on this bad boy. when the factory sent me out the PC it had an issue with the 2nd video card, i sent it in and they sent me another, only to have it fail again. however the 2nd time it failed i wasnt aware of it. only when another nvidia driver update came out did i notice that the 2nd video card wasnt working. No SLI and was wondering why. Sent in the 2nd card and started to have these shutdowns soon as i installed the one they sent me back. tested out both cards and both cards are to my knowledge working fine.

So far though no shutdowns when i moved around the fans and moved the PC to another area. Im using the same power plug outlet, god forbid its a bad outlet thats been causing these issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom