Speedfan readings = /

Status
Not open for further replies.

melioz

Baseband Member
It has been a while since i discovered high temps in Speedfan and ignored them.
I built this a year ago and updated versions of speedfan have not changed the readings since.

My build: Evga 790i extreme (Troublesome board off the bat >.<)
9800gx2
4gig ddr3 1333
9450 2.8 Stable oc at 3.5 (for the most part)
2x500g seagates in raid 0 (also troublesome)
Windows vista ultimate 64bit

Everything seems fine for temps except for system temp which says 86C, and has remained around there forever. My Pc has been 75% stable for the past year or more and has went from crashing on startup/shutdown when i built it because of the faulty bios on the 1.0 board to this day running windows stable and crashing 25% of the time on game startup and occasionally hard-locking with sounds skips in the middle of games. Cpu is idle at 40c on the first two cores, and 28 on the other two if that matters. There is also a reading just below AUX (24c) that just says Temp and it reads 57c and also has a burning symbol.

(edit) Screenie SpeedFan Pic

The Asus Probe II is about the most reliable for a software tool. Some go for PC Wizard while that and the old free version of Everest home edition also have seen times when reporting false high temp readings.

I never fully count on any of them while seeing close matches with the Asus tool and another one called System Info for Windows. SIW | System Information for Windows by Gabriel Topala

That one gives you quite a bit more showing video card temps and voltages along with just about a full breakdown of what programs are installed as well.

The Asus Probe II can be displayed on the desktop like a gadget there. for watching cpu temps. ASUS PC Probe II 1.04.60 download - TechSpot Downloads

The Asus Probe II is about the most reliable for a software tool. Some go for PC Wizard while that and the old free version of Everest home edition also have seen times when reporting false high temp readings.

I never fully count on any of them while seeing close matches with the Asus tool and another one called System Info for Windows. SIW | System Information for Windows by Gabriel Topala

That one gives you quite a bit more showing video card temps and voltages along with just about a full breakdown of what programs are installed as well.

The Asus Probe II can be displayed on the desktop like a gadget there. for watching cpu temps. ASUS PC Probe II 1.04.60 download - TechSpot Downloads
Very subjective statement, eyeCpc. Probe II won't always be the most reliable, hence why I suggested several kinds.

Suggestion to OP: try out several of the programs mentioned, check the idle temperature. Reboot, and then check the idle temperature that your BIOS reads. Go by the program that was most accurate.

That usually works out well in both XP and Vista alike. It won't finish installing on 7 however being a newer version there.

FreeImageHosting.net Hosting Service

Compatibility mode? Disable driver signing?

For checking accuracy which can vary with any of them your best option is going by the one that stays closest to the actual temps seen in the hardware monitor. But you have to reboot fast and get into the bios before any cool down on you to make a comparison.

The Asus usually turned out the closest here as well as the system info tool seen at the link there. But regardless of which one they are a software not a direct off sensor display.

That wasn't the first thing that wouldn't go on. And I have to expect other things won't either. When and if Asus comes out with a Probe III right about the time 7 is ready then there shouldn't be any problem.

But you have to reboot fast and get into the bios before any cool down on you to make a comparison.

Why would you need to do that? Just compare idle temps to idle temps. You don't need to compare load to load...

Why would you need to do that? Just compare idle temps to idle temps. You don't need to compare load to load...

The fear by many is you have to reboot fast to get in a look at the monitor in bios when comparing what is seen there to any addon temp utility. If you start suddenly seeing super high temps then that would be one way to see if the program itself is way off.

For simple comparisons? I think you know the answer to that already. Waste of time! :p

dont trust the BIOS! it measures the temp from a thermistor located under the socket... just grab CoreTemp 0.99.3, as it measures the temp from a temperature diode within the chip... Speedfan gives alot of dummy temps... any of that seem inordinate are probably not real

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom