Possible Cause of Death: 2100+

Status
Not open for further replies.

alecjahn

Daemon Poster
Well one of the most common types completely unexplainable human death, is when air is forced into the bloodstream during... well... "child-creation."

Since my processor is not properly equipped, nor does it have a bloodstream, we can rule that out.

Upon autopsy of the processor, I noticed a small chip on the side of the core, and remembered this had been there for some time, even when it worked just fine.

I noticed 2 more, but much smaller. How these got there? I dont know. I used a shim, just to be safe. Maybe it didnt do its job.

Picture of It

KEY
1. Largest, corner chip that has been there for a while, as explained above.
2. Small chip, shouldnt do a whole lot.
3. Slightly larger than 2, on side.

Ive seem processors on the 'net that have had huge corners taken out of them, yet surprisingly they still worked... not sure how.
Can anyone explain this?

Are these chips capable of killing a processor?

I hope you dont start thinking of me as a careless person, having these on my processor.
Since I had a shim, I would have thought it would make sure this didnt happpen... and even then, I am DAMN carefull when I mount a HSF.

Anyways, just a thought.

I don't know. I could have sworn I saw a picture where they took the core off...and it basically looked like all it was for was heat transfer nothing really to do with the actual transistors and whatnot...so you'd think if that were the case..it'd still work...I was mounting a heatsink last night and I heard a little 'scrape' sound which usually indicates the core...BUT here I am typing and I'm gonna wind up removing that heatsink here in a week anyway :rolleyes: cause I got a newheatsink coming. I just wanted somethin to do last night =P Anyway.....I've kinda always wondered the same thing.....I suppose a chipped core could produce unacceptable heat transfer? But you'd think that'd only happen if the thing was destroyed

did u ground yourself b4 inserting the processor? what kind of thermal material did u use?

Yeah I ground myself pretty good usually.

I just use regular thermal paste. The white stuff.

I'm quite sure it doesnt have anything to do with heat though, becuase it didn't do anything when it died. I turned it off, went to bed, and when I woke up and turned the compy on, I had no POST. After a long process of elimination (and a quick switch with my brother's processor) I concluded it was definatly the processor.

Oh well, I got my new one shipping as we speak.
(Finally)

Yeah i've also had the fun time of having my computer not boot or do anything to finally come to the conclusion that it was indeed the CPU. Atleast you got another on the way

Here's another thing I've always wondered:

The thermaltake shim I bought with the dead tbred states it will not work on bartons, or at least newegg said it wouldnt.

I've always wondered why they say this because it seems to fit just fine, without covering anything on the chip.

Here's the TBred naked

Tbred.jpg

And the Barton Naked

barton.jpg

Note how theyre both basically the same, except core size/shape.

And TBred Shimmed (hehehe)

TbredShimmed.jpg

Barton Shimmed

BartonShimmed.jpg

I see no problem with this!

(Note: at the very top of the bottom half of the shim, in the center, it looks like it touches a protruding thingy (transistor? resistor? Iunno...), but trust me it doesnt... although there is only a 2mm gap between the two pieces.

One guy on newegg stated it worked good on his 2600 but he didnt state whether it was a barton or not (they made a tbred of those, right)

What do you all think? Should it work?

lol nice photoshopping. You can't just take two pictures though cause they probably aren't all anatomically correct. You'd need both chips and the shim to be correct. I got no clue though...I wasn't aware of a 2600+ tbred....but you'd figure they would tell you this for a reason.....could be it doesn't go against a pin right or something on the bottom? No clue

if u used a shim on your 2100, that would prolly be the reason it died(asuming everything else was assembled corectly)

im not saying theres anything rong with the shim or the way u used it.

the shim isnt made by AMD right? and the cpu doesnt come with one right?

so it may just be one of those after market things were u dont realy need(might make things worse) but thy make it anyway to hack in some dough.

maybe the heat transfered from the heatsink to the shim, and heated up part of the cpu that shouldnt have been.(<--just for example.

my suggestion, dont use the shim unless its stated somewere on AMD's website that its ok to.

EDIT: lmao i fixed my post... i mixed up using 'Intell' instead of 'AMD' u may not of noticed. or may u did, fixed anyhow

yeah....that shim looks more like a scam for a few more bucks than it does in actually doing anything.....maybe the edge was too close to the top connector and the bottom too close to a pin and a slight circuit was made.....if you used that shim it certainly didn't work with all those broken core corners! :p

My bro has a 2500 barton, and I remember fitting the shim on it just fine... (never used it though) which is what sparked the idea. I'm quite sure it doesnt cover anything up, or make any unwanted connections. I just used my "Paint"ing meathod to attempt to show you all what I mean.

Oh well I guess I dont need it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom