xp x64 fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2k556

In Runtime
Well, I finally returned my bad memory that died like six months ago and recieved my new pair yesterday. so today I decided i'd try out x64 since this would bring me to 4gb of mem. when you buy xp from a college, they give you both x86 and x64 for 20 bucks. i also bought another 8800gts so i could sli. i put all the hardware in and fire it up with the cd in, it goes through its usual thing blue screen loading, then it gets to the screen that says windows is starting up. and it just sits there. i let it sit for like 30/40 mins while i took a shower, and it was still froze when i got back. i tried rebooting and still the same thing several times. so i took out one graphics card, same thing, took out 2gb memory, same thing, so i've now booted back into my x86 to get some help. anyone got any ideas, bios settings, i'm at a loss here? also i got 2 error screens in some of the times that i rebooted. pics below. thanks in advance.

setup:

p5n-d, gskill memory, q6600, 8800gts 312

p1.jpg

p3.jpg

which could possibly make sense. they are two different pairs of ram, do you think that i would have to manual set the timings, it's setting on auto right now, but one is 4-4-4-12 and the other is 5-5-5-15. I'll do a memtest too on the new stuff.

which could possibly make sense. they are two different pairs of ram, do you think that i would have to manual set the timings, it's setting on auto right now, but one is 4-4-4-12 and the other is 5-5-5-15. I'll do a memtest too on the new stuff.

Yea, when grouping memory they have to be the same. not sure there is a work around for it but if there is these guys should be able to help.

well i decided to give it another try before i ran memtest, and it started to install, i got it all reformatted and it went through the usual installs until it starts the finishing part. then this pops up. i'm not using an illegal copy, so i'm not sure why this is happening. any ideas, it did this twice. i rebooted the first time it showed up and tried again.

test-1.jpg

well, i'm not sure, but i left it at that screen, the one with the error message, when i returned to my computer about half hour later, windows finished installing. strange. so it works now, thanks anyways. not sure what was happening last night.

I would still run MemTest86 just to be sure. I would also get your Memory timings the same as well. This could easily cause you instability.

went and changed everything to 5-5-5-15, will put too 4-4-4-12 or something like that when i begin oc'ing. the problem was in fact a voltage one. i did a memtest on 4, then each of the 2gb pairs, worked on pairs, not when they were together. then it dawned on me i needed match the voltage, turned it up to 2.2 and everything is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom