Quad GPU motherboard recommendations for folding rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
Ok, so I currently have a dedicated folding rig: 590SLI and I also fold most days on my P5Q pro for a total of 4 cards. Now I'm slowly in the process of putting together a rig for my wife and I was thinking of using the 590 with the 5000BE for her, she's no gamer and just needs an office rig so that will do better than fine. I'd have to buy a new rig anyways so figured I'd go with a quad GPU mobo and upgrade my dedicated folding rig. Have one rig running 24/7 instead or 2 or 3 (I have a 9800gt for my htpc i'm have to get around to setting up F@H on as soon as i figure out a good cooling solution).

Anyways, long story short, need a good AMD quad GPU mobo. Most important is reliable, has to run 24/7 without a hickup. Ideally I'd also like to fit 4 dual slot cards on it as I have 3 8800gts and one 9800gt to fold with. Opinions?

MSI K9A2 Platinum ($180): Newegg.ca - MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Foxconn Destroyer ($243): Newegg.ca - Foxconn Destroyer AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

I could go intel with the MSI P6N Diamond nForce 680I for $250 open box:
NCIX.com - Buy MSI P6N Diamond nForce 680I LGA775 Conroe ATX 4PCI-E16 2PCI SATA2 RAID Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard - MS-7320-010 In Canada.

What do you guys think? Again, is a pure folding rig, no games, multemedia etc...just as many ppd as possible in a single rig.

wait what? you're building a quad GPU awesome computer for folding...?

That's what the post says...to be honest not really doing anything different. have to build a comp for my wife anyways and have most of the parts lying around except for a mobo. So essentially instead of getting her a new mobo i get myself a new one and bump her one of my older ones....she only uses the web and word so no point in getting new if I don't have to.

Thanks for the feedback....best part about that, it's the cheapest of those boards!

For cooling your 9800, i'd recommend the T-rad and a couple 92mm fans..... Its very good on my 8800!

That was actually what I was going to do with my 8800gt's, I have a single akimbo now which I have on the 9800gt but I also have an accelero S2 with the fans which I think I'm going to try chopping down an inch or so to fit in my HTPC, see how well it cools once cut down :p

But yeah, the T-rad was the plan until I realized i could get about the same for my two 8800gt's as poizzen was selling his two 8800gts' for. Better cards and save me atleast $100 on upgraded cooling, put that towards a 1200 case i think.

Yup, i was not a happy camper once they pulled the akimbo off the evga page....T-rad seemed the best plan B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom