Fps drops while playing FEAR, 8800GTS 512mb

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I have been having this problem for some time now. While playing FEAR, my fps would drop like crazy. I start out around 200 fps but after a minute it would drop to around 20 fps. I also kept getting an error message saying "display driver nvlddmkm has stopped responding and has recovered." I was still able to play but very sluggish. So I tried installing different drivers, but that didn't worked. I was getting a little frustrated with it so I just gave up.

Well I just reinstalled Vista and now I am not getting that error message but the fps will still drop while playing FEAR. And this seems to happen just in FEAR, I played a few other games and everything was fine.

And it seems that I am not the only one having this problem. And it's not just the 8800GTS 512mb card, there are people having the same problem with different cards. Some people said to take some ram out, tried that and didn't work.

I may try some BETA drivers and see if that fixes it. I don't know else to do. Anybody have any ideas? Surely I am not the only one on here with this problem.

try it with the lowest settings possible and see if you get steady settings. if you do then its just your card can't handle the game 100%

also it might be that there are some tasks running in the background that use system resources at inconvenient times (i.e. when you don't want them too) which could mess up your fps.

I get about 12 FPS playing FEAR.

I've come to the conclusion that FEAR just sucks. :p

I've read that it has issues with XFire, make sure you aren't running that... I was, but I was too lazy to turn it off and try again.

EDIT:
try it with the lowest settings possible and see if you get steady settings. if you do then its just your card can't handle the game 100%

also it might be that there are some tasks running in the background that use system resources at inconvenient times (i.e. when you don't want them too) which could mess up your fps.

His system should absolutely destroy FEAR, as should mine.

my system (q6600, 9600gt, 2gb ram) should absolutely destroy halo pc, but i still get lag spikes playing maxed out on 720p res. it might just be a spike in resource use which would cause a lag.

and yeah, fear is kind of a shittily programed game.

I don't think it has anything to do with tasks running in the background because it happens the same time every time.

And I don't think it is just the game because other people are having the same problems in different games.

This is really starting to get under my skin.

is it the same point for everybody?

if it is then it might just be going from a super un-gpu-intensive part to a super gpu-intensive part thats causing frame drops.

like i said before, run it on lowest settings and see if it fixes anything

Yes it is.

I will try running it on the lowest settings.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier, after I reinstalled Vista and before I installed any video drivers, I played FEAR. I got around 16 fps. So I installed the latest driver and I was getting around 150 fps but then after a minute it dropped back down to 16 fps. What I think it is doing is, it is rolling back to the previous driver for some reason.

well uninstall the drivers you have, run a driver cleaner software, and then reinstall latest, see if that works.

This doesn't make any sense. I ran FEAR on its lowest settings and the fps were only around 45 but never dropped. What is going on here?

I will run the driver cleaner software tomorrow. You know any good ones?

did you play it on lowest res as well?

if so, then pay attention to this next bit, if not try it on lowest res, and if it does the same then pay attention to this-
when you play on extremely low resolution the cpu does a lot more work, rather than on higher resolutions the gpu does most of the work. while not ruling out the gpu completely it takes most of the stress off of the gpu, which would lead me to believe that it's just a point in the game that's coded poorly or puts a lot of stress suddenly on the card. If you go from a black wall and are getting 1000+ fps, to a dense graphically intense rendered area, you will get like frame stutter or a fps spike, which is what I bet is happening. That would explain why it's happening to just about everybody in the same exact spot no matter what your system specs are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom