XP Registry question

Status
Not open for further replies.

iiisoleo

Beta member
I'm using Windows x64. sp3

I have alot of crap on my hard drive and rather than deleting it all, I would like to reinstall windows xp 64bit and "start fresh"

I want to be able to copy some of my already installed programs from this old os and put them onto the "fresh" os.

What are my options in order to make this work?

Do i need to copy certain Registry values, how can I tell which ones?

I probably need expert advice. I'm almost capable of doing this myself but I've never done anything like this before and I'm scared of loosing my Installs.

Thank you Tech Forums Members for helping me out! :)

P.S. If you think that this is a bad solution, please let me know, I want some opinions! thanks.

well, a little unorthadox, but i once exported my registry, copied all my programfiles folder into another HD and after install, i copied them back and imported my registry.

it worked but i'm not recommending it cause it seems kind of crude.

You cant re-install your programs and then just save their installed files and copy back over once your new install is done and you've re-installed your programs? or you dont have the main program installer anymore?

I keep my games installed on a seperate drive and when I do a fresh install of the OS I reinstall the games to the same directories and the saves,mods and other files still remain.

I would recomend that you start your fresh install with a fresh registry and save your programs installed folder as recomended above and reinstall them new if you can, and then copy your program folders back to the install directory.

aloha bob or vcom system suite can do it. you can't really do it with windows. a mac can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom