Computer makes a different beeping sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
Here lately when I turn my computer on, it makes a different beeping sound than usual. Sometimes it will not stop at all. This may have to do with overclocking but not sure. I was trying to reach 3.4ghz but never really could get it stable and that seems to be when it started. Right now I am at stock settings and it still does it. Does this mean there is a problem with my cpu or memory?

I also just reinstalled Windows Vista if that helps any.

Take a look in your manual for bios beep codes and what they mean. I am getting a copy of your manual but gigbyte's site is downloading slow. GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Manual Download

edit: here it is page 77.

1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

Well it is either 1 long, 1 short or continuous long beep.

It's kinda hard to explain the sound it makes but it actually sounds different than a regular beep.

I would start with reseating ram and video card and checking power plug into vid card. I would also reset bios to default incase you missed turning a setting down.

If only there were some way to get an audio file of it on here.

I am going to run memtest86 then I will reseat the video card and ram.

Have you switched out your keyboard? I know it sounds weird and I'm not sure you are able to do anything else on your computer while it's beeping. Can you? I know that when I start up the computers in my lab, if there is a key being pressed during start up( like when a kid has put the monitor too low and part of it is pressing a key), it will beep away until the key is released.

This only happens during the boot process. Once Windows is running, it does not happen.

I have not switched out the keyboard but I did notice that one of my speakers, the center one, was over top a few of the keys pressing down slightly. But I have a feeling that is not what is causing the different beeps because it doesn't do it every time I restart. Maybe I will get lucky this time though.

I have noticed that when it does happen, it is when my computer froze up and had to push the restart button. Should it beep every time I restart the computer? Because if I just restart it because of installing software or whatever, it does not beep at all most of the time.

Interesting...have you heard of Belarc Advisor?
It does a complete audit of your computers software and hardware (no info is sent anywhere, it is all created locally on your computer (even though it opens up in a web browser). It will also let you know if you have installed all of the windows security hotfixes, blah, blah, blah....anyway, it might give you an idea or point you in a general direction. I know that whenever I think I have all the updates installed and my computer starts acting up, I end up not having the latest hotfix. Just a thought.:umm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom