Gparted live question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

In Runtime
I would like to use gparted live so I can put Win 7 on another partition on my HD. I never used it before so I am going to ask here. Is all I have to do is resize my HD and create a new partition? I see there is a resize option in the GUI. After I resize my current partition, do I need to assign it a drive letter say to D: If so, how do I do this or is it down automatically? Also, Do I need to format it?

Then What I want to do is take an already image of my Win 7 created from acronis true image home 2009 bootable CD and put it on the newly partitioned drive or will I need to reinstall the OS on it's own?

thanks

You just resize it. then you will have a space on there that has no file system or anything. Right click on that and format it to NTFS. You dont have to assign a drive letter. That will be done by Windows during the install.

Is the Acronis Image bootable? If so then you should be able to just install that.

yes, My acronis is bootable so I can do it the way I stated and it won't mess up any of my file system of my already installed XP OS?

Also, when Win 7 expires will I be able to delete that partition and add the space to it back to XP (C: Drive)?

thanks Mak.

No you shouldnt mess up your XP install. I wont guarantee it cause i have not used Acronis in years. Last time i checked Acronis wanted you to use the whole drive for a Image and will use that same amount of space on the placement of that Image again.

Meaning that if you had a 40GB partition used for Win7 when you made the image and you tried to go to a 20GB partition it wouldnt work cause Acrnois also took the other 20GB into account even if it was jsut free space.

Again i cant tell you for sure. I dont use Acrnois.

After the Beta yes you can add it back. Just do the opposite of what you did to create the new drive.

Thanks for the help Mak. Much appreciated. Just to be on the safe side I think I will wait on doing this until, hopefully, someone can verify that it is OK to do without messing it up.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom