system build rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0ob1

Solid State Member
Im currently thinking about building my own desktop pc, i have an idea of what i want to be included and was wondering if anyone could possibly rate this system (preferably out of 10) and give me an idea of how much a system like this would cost, retail and custom build (the system specs are shown below, excluding chassis and PSU)? Thanks very much

Processor
AMD HD985ZXAGHBOX Phenom Quad-Core 9850 2.5GHz 125W L2-2MB L3-2MB Socket AM2+ CPU - Black Edition
Motherboard
Asus M3A78-CM
Hard drive
(1.5TB) Seagate Barracuda 7200 32MB Cache SATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive
Memory (RAM)
Kingston 2GB (1X2GB), 1066MHz, DDR2, Non-ECC RAM
graphics card
Sapphire ATI Radeon 512MB HD4870 GDDR5 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI HDTV-Out Graphics Card
CD/DVD Drive
LG GH20LS15BRL SATA 20X DVD-RW Optical Drive with LightScribe Retail (Black)

Im currently thinking about building my own desktop pc, i have an idea of what i want to be included and was wondering if anyone could possibly rate this system (preferably out of 10) and give me an idea of how much a system like this would cost, retail and custom build (the system specs are shown below, excluding chassis and PSU)? Thanks very much

Processor
AMD HD985ZXAGHBOX Phenom Quad-Core 9850 2.5GHz 125W L2-2MB L3-2MB Socket AM2+ CPU - Black Edition
Motherboard
Asus M3A78-CM
Hard drive
Memory (RAM)
graphics card
CD/DVD Drive

if your going with a phenom, get a phenom II 920 or 940

also on the ram, get 2x2 instead of 2x1
everything else looks fine.

Processor
Motherboard
Asus M3A78-CM
Hard drive
Memory (RAM)
graphics card
CD/DVD Drive

Good thing you posted before you purchased those parts. That 9850 is a phenom 1. Its slow and can't overclock. If you absolutely must go amd get a phenom 2. But I would strongly recommend getting an Intel build. Depending on your budget you could afford a Q9400. In the next week or two it will be around $220. It is about on par with the Phenom 2 940, but soon will be much cheaper. As for a motherboard I would recommend either the Biostar TP45hp or the I45. They are great at overclocking and have features and performance of boards that cost much more. As for ram I recommend OCZ golds in the 1066mhz in 2gb kits. They are good for 4-5-4-15 at 1100mhz.

thanks alot, i only just managed to cancel my order, lol. Im now doubting weather a quad core processor is what i want anyway since im more of a gamer anyway. Im thinking of buying a dual core as games seem to exploit these alot more anyway, what do you suggest? Im currently using a Intel Core 2 Due T7250 2.00GH/s processor but i would really like the extra processing power.

If you are looking at dual cores then the e8500 is a good choice. If you get an E0 then you will be set for overclocking with the core contact. I got my e7200 to 4.1ghz with my core contact and the e8500 is an even better overclocker.

yeh, that looks pretty good, ive just noticed that AMD are going to release the new AMD phenom FX prossessor that apparantly has a stock speed of 4.4GH/s :eek:. I might wait till that comes out but im doubtfull as to how much it will cost. Im trying to find a processor that has the high GH/s of a high end processor but for lower price so i'll probably try and stick with AMD instead of going with Intel. With regards to the motherboard i got that Asus M3A78-CM dirt cheap and i already have it. Plus im happy with that model at the moment and dont see the need to get the ones you suggested. However, that may make a good buy simply for the duel PCI express slots that it has allowing for dual graphics cards. Then again i can always upgrade the motherboard anyway, there only going to go down in price. (hopefully)

Ghz means absolutely nothing. A 2.6ghz quad is faster than a 3ghz dual core. And AMD chips right now are slower than Intel chips. If you buy amd you will be wasting your money. The phenom 2 is equivalent to Intel's quads 2 years ago. They also have higher tdps and don't overclock as well. Get the e8500. I guarantee you will be happy. It is good for 4ghz and then some. I want to see an AMD do that on air cooling.

thanks alot, im now in the process of buying a Intel E8600 Core 2 Duo Proccessor - 3.33 GHz,6MB L2 Cache,1333MHz FSB,Socket LGA775,45 nm from Amazon.co.uk. Should do me just fine, im also ordering an ASUS P5Q, don't have a clue what im going to do with my current mobo :(. Cost me £50 :( :( :( :( :(. Anywho, thanks alot

Matt, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the E8500 just an E8400 with a bumped up multiplier? At least, that was what I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom