Video cards keep dying because of heat. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

tripping

Solid State Member
This pic doesn't show two additional fans at the top blowing air through the rear, out.

IMG_0976_1.jpg

My computer is loaded, it's a home desktop. Server case, two giant fans blowing from bellow (case is on wheels), one fan blowing from the front, one blowing out from the back. Then there is power supply with dual fans. Two six fans in the slots, and two fans in the back. I know, lol. Basically it's designed to take air from front and bottom and move it up the tower and through the back.

I'm not overclocking anything. I have 5 PCI cards, plus 1 AGP 8X video card. Basically this is the 2nd time this happened to me, because of heat lube in video card's fan burns out in EXACTLY a year, the fan seizes to work, the whole card burns. :freak:

I was using Beostar GeForce 6800XT. Great product lol, only works for EXACTLY a year, then dies. I had two of those, each one working for 1 year, lol.

Thus my question to you all. What can I do to make these cards last longer?

IMG_0979_1.jpg

IMG_0978_1.jpg

IMG_0977_1.jpg

That beast looks pretty old, I would definitely upgrade an upgrade on the PSU side of things and possibly a complete re-wiring session.

Believe it or not, it's pretty new, XP2400+, 1 gig DDR256. And because it has two SCSI 320 drives 15k, it's pretty quick. It rates 3.1 on Vista scale, and can run that operating system without a problem, though I use XP. Vista not open well enough.

What can I do with fans? Perhaps change airflow? Perhaps add another fan from the side?

DDR 256mb is far from being new :|

i doubt changing the fans would help....clean up the wires, make sure airways aren't conflicting. and remember..a ton of fans aren't always the best answer. if to many conflict it can make your airflow worse rather than improve it

When you say the cards both died after EXACTLY a year, do you mean to the week? Day?

Exactly To The Week

Pretty much with to the week accuracy. BIOSTAR

I bought first one two years ago from newegg, that one worked for a year, then perhaps due to heat, one of memory chips got shot.

I bought another one, same exact card from newegg again (and returned the shot one :) ) and it worked for a year again, now the fan froze, chip fried. I could smell the grease burning from my chair.

Basically, both cards had same symptoms before they went, as I think now in retrospect. While in high resolution (I play subspace continuum) sometimes picture would go jumpy on me, that's when the fan begins to loose it's lube and load on power circuit starts. On this last one there was several shot transistors, a blown cap, and a fried GPU.

Now, I blame this on bad astrological alignment or something, because in both instances I was about to login to ebay and list a lot of products and make a lot of money.

NEWEGG now offers these chips sets for 8x AGP. Which one?

Radeon HD 3000
HD 2000
GeForce 7
GeForce 6
GeForce FX
Radeon 9
Radeon X1K

Also, important to note, card I had before this one was GeForce FX 64MB, used to be brand new in 2001. It worked fine, I still have it. I only upgraded to let me use GLASS on Vista, plus let me use higher resolution in subspace continuum, which improved my game, I'm now elite. Perhaps crappy card? Perhaps these new cards are all like this?

You should probably clean all the fans out and check to see if the bearings are ok... Do you smoke? Or is your house very dusty? Dust can easily clog up a GPU heatsink and damage the fan, that or the fan wasn't enough for your card, best bet is to just clean out ALL the fans, do some wire managment, upgrade PSU, RAM, and get another GPU...

if your going to just keep replacing the video card

go with the ati 3000 series or the nvidia 7000 series.

as some of the above posters said, that rig was used by G. Washington before he was elected president.

if i were you, before putting money back into that rig, i would build a brand new one up.

you said you had 5 pci cards in what are they for?

the other thing that you may want to do is get a cowl to funnel one of the bottom fans airflow directly over the video card and out the back of the pc giving the onboard fan a break in heat dissapation or get a new card and buy a better fan from coolermaster.com or last but not least though i don't particularly suggest this because it introduces a whole new hazard into the system invest in a liquid cooling solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom