Computer won't power up at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaliaila

Beta member
Yesterday I had went out for my Grandparents anniversary. I had left my computer running as usual, though I did have a game running at a character selections screen. When I got back I noticed a smell of burnt/worn plastic/rubber, and when I looked at the screens for my computer one of them seemed to be frozen. I attempted to power down that computer and nothing was responding. I don't remember for sure but I think that even pushing and holding down the power button did not work, so I turned off the power unit using the switch on it.

I opened it up and looked over the connections and the mother board. I didn't notice anything obvious at first, so I cleaned out the dust and dirt in the system and hooked it back up. However after hooking everything back up and turning the power supply back on, when I would push the power button on the computer absolutely nothing would happen. No fans no nothing. Upon taking off the side with it still hooked up and the PSU 'on' the light in the lower left corner of my P4P800-E Asus mobo was on and green, so I know that at least power of somekind was reaching the motherboard. I'd looked a little more closely and then noticed some white stuff on the Intel chip on the bottom part of the mobo. I'd been pretty sure that it wasn't new so didn't look to closely at it.

I got on my other computer and searched for the symptoms that the computer had left me with. There were a few similiar posts on this forum. Was able to get the Power Supply to turn on using the method outlined in one of the other threads. The PSU and all the fans and everything did turn on using that method. So I went back and looked at the white spot more closely with a flashlight to see better and saw.
chip.jpg

Looks a little a bit melted. I don't really remember if this was there before or not. Would that stop the computer from powering up at all? If it is I'm guessing I'll need to replace the motherboard. Is there anything I could do to look at to find the problem?

If the processor is fried it can very well stop the computer from powering up at all. It could have affected the motherboard as well.

Anyway I could test to see if it is the processor still works or just the motherboard, short of getting another motherboard that is compatible with the processor?

Just for clarity that is the Intel ICH5R chip on the motherboard in the picture not the processor.

Sorry the only way to test a processor is to try it in another motherboard. There should be another way but as of now there isn't.

Ah well, guess I'll have to dig out the processors box and see if anyone I know has a compatible motherboard, or may just take it to a local repair shop and see if they have any mobo they could test it in.

Guess it's kind of good that I'd built me a new computer just before xmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom