Windows Not Loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnOfDoom

Daemon Poster
Okay well i just updated windows XP SP3 with the latest updates. I click restart now. and it shuts down fine. and begins to boot back up. I have GRUB installed so i can boot into Linux when i want to. Im posting from Kubuntu right now. Now what happens when im in GRUB is that when i scroll down to boot up into windows the screen goes black and in the top it says "starting up" and then i can leave it like that for several minutes and typicly it goes to the windows loading screen but currently its staying on the black screen with starting up. This is a very peculiar incident. Help would be much appreciated. I' will currently try to boot back in to see if anyhting new happens. :D thanks fellas!

What type of PC? There are a few threads in the Read First sticky about XP SP3 not being able to restart after install. They might serve a purpose.

Its my Gaming rig. I've had SP3 for a while now and its booted and rebooted fine. I've had 2 Updates in SP3 and they worked fine when i installed then rebooted. I remember this update was a Windows Malicious Software Removal something or other. it was made up of 2 files.

No I cant. The Screen tow here i can go into my CMOS by pressing f11 or whatever comes up. then it goes to Update DMI pool data then it goes to Load up GRUB and thats where i pick either to go to Windows or Kubuntu. I arrow down to windows and what it does USUALLY when i hit enter on windows it goes straight to the Windows loading screen. That black screen with the bar going across and the windows logo. And then it proceeds to the Welcome screen then windows startsup. Now thats what happens Normally. Whats going on now is i get into GRUB I go down to Windows Hit enter and it gives me this black screen with white text that says "Starting Up....." I look at my Hard Drive activity light and its not doing anything. not blinking or whatever. But when i Boot Kubuntu off of a partitioned drive on the same physical drive i see my activity light blinking.

Another question. If i were to use my Windows CD to do a Repair Install. would i loose all my files? or does it leave that alone and just restores windows files?

Thanks For the quick replys mak.

No a repair install only replaces Windows Files not your personal files.

Sounds like either the MBR is corrupted or you need the repair.

Alrighty Thanks a Bunch Mak. I'll have to get Super Grub to Set up Grub again so i can boot into linux easily. :D

I'll post back with some results after the repair.

*edit* okay oneee little problem. I never set an administrator password when i installed Windows. And when i go into the repare it asks me which drive or whatever to boot into an i select hte only one up there which is C:\WINDOWS and it asks for an administrator password. Idk what to do about this. because the only account on windows is mine and mine is the admins. so mine just boots automaticly no question when i start up windows

(bump) sorry for the double post but i need to get this fixed up cuz i have to study for an exam tomorrow.

Did you try to hit enter to just pass that phase?

I just hit enter and now i have alist of options and now i see this <C:\WINDOWS> and i can type help and get a list of commands. What do i need to do to be able to repair my windows files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom