GTX260 Core216 OC Questions for Guru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like2game

Baseband Member
Well i am happy to say i just built my first pc and it works like a dream. I got a gtx260 core 216 for it and it came with this nifty little program called "Evga Precision". Basically it is like overclocking for dummies lol. I really want to get my card at max potential now. I chose this card because everyone said it overclocks super nice.

Before i clock it up though i have a few questions some of you gurus may be able to answer. I can adjust the Core Clock, Shader Clock, Memory Clock, and Fan Speed. It also shows me my GPU temp in real time.

I am looking for a program i can use to stress the GPU while having this precision open, and i am curious as to what temps are stable with this GPU. It also has a feature that links the Core Clock with the Shader Clock, should i be leaving that on or should i tweak each one separately. Also i was curious as to which clock speeds effect gaming the most. One more question i have is about the fan speed, is it ok to have it at 100% (the noise does not bother me) or will that wear the fan out really fast ?

I have a Evga 680i motherboard and it's bios is incompatible with nTune so that is not an option for me.

Video Card Stability Test - Stress Testing & Benchmark the speed of your 3D graphics video card

i use it, and like it. as a neat little GPU benchmark in it aswell

EDIT: more info. Uhmm my card usually idles around 40-44C and maxes around 50's to low 60's when gaming(fan 40%). I don't 100% know about the fan thing..but i've heard running it above 80% for long periods of time can make it die quicker. I dunno about the linking thing, i leave my linked. I've ran my card at 700/***/11000 (***= i left it linked so whatever it was ...can't remember)

what you can do is run rivatuner and run the 'system settings' program of it and that will monitor temps. What you can have it do is record temps and you can run like 3dmark and once you're gpu has been tested, check the recorded temps and you can build a graph out of it if you like and see max/min/avg temps ;)

Hmm with my fan on auto i idle at around 56-58 degrees. When i turn it up to 80% I idle at around 46-50.

When i used that benchmark/stress test wafflehammer suggested my card got up to and stayed at around 70 degrees. Is this something to be concerned with ? I ordered a vanilla card and i think that's what i got. Stock speed for my card is 626/1349/1053 (core/shader/memory)with the fan staying at 40% on auto. My case has a temp of around 25 degrees and my cpu is staying at a very low ~32 on idle, ~36 after a game.

Have you guys added any extra cooling devices in to get your temps that low or should mine also be that low. Maybe the way i have my case fans set up the hot air is lingering around my card. If that is the case i have no problem cutting a hole or changing some fans.

EDIT: i am running a 24" monitor on a res of 1920x1200, could that maybe be why my card is a little hotter ?

Youre clocked higher than my bfg 260 oc max.

Which card is it? as your speeds match the "sc" model, and is it a 55nm?

70C isn't bad, gpus run much hotter, my 8800 stock hit 80. If you've got a 55nm , yhat could be why, as theyre supposivly hotter.

Your case aIR flow is important, what is your setup?

I'm running dual screens 19" and 22" at 1680x1024

that card isn't the vanilla...because mine is 576/dunno/999. Not to sure if monitor size would effect it...maybe. video cards usually run a lot hotter than CPU's so 70C isn't much to be worried about...but your idle temps are really high i think

I heard that tiger sent out a bunch of SCC cards as vanillas and i guess i lucked out and got one. The card i ordered is orange and black and is 65nm, i think the 55nm ones are the red and black ones that just came out, for EVGA anyways. I got the package that came with FC2 for free.

I have 4x80mm(3 in 1 out) fans and 1x120mm(out) fan in my case, plus the fan on the psu(out). I will take some pics tomorrow morning and post them up here so you guys can take a look. My wiring is messy but i made sure it wouldn't block any air flow. I am starting to think i have negative airflow going on and the air by my card is not moving. I also put the HDD lower than the vidcard and i might try to put it higher.

EDIT: I just thought of one more possible reason. This card sits in front of my southbridge chipset and the motherboard i have runs really hot. This is probably adding to the reason i am getting these temps. I just ran down to my storage room to check my box and it does say Superclocked Edition. I did order and only pat for the regular edition though so i am pretty stoked lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom