Who knows a lot about the Optiplex 740?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
What in the world kind of chipsets do these computers have? Every single one of these I run into insane problems with getting it to work with certain drivers and operating systems. Does anybody else use 740's at work or school or wherever that run into issues?

I have a hand full of these on my network(about 30) before i switched to a different vendor but so far they haven't given me any problems.

What specific OS and Drivers are you having trouble with?

I have a hand full of these on my network(about 30) before i switched to a different vendor but so far they haven't given me any problems.

What specific OS and Drivers are you having trouble with?

XP in specific is a headache.

For troubleshooting I use Ubuntu LiveCD's, GParted, CloneZilla, etc... all of which don't play nice because of whatever hard drive chipset or driver they have.

We're about to get a new fleet of computers. If they're 740's, I'll just... kill myself.

I am running xp on them all and as well use ubuntu livecd when i need and im pretty smooth thus far. Theyve been installed for about 6 months now. Sorry that doesnt offer much help lol...

Are you have dell downgrade them to xp when they are shipped or are you installing your own corporate copy of xp or...?

A mixture. The one I'm toying with now came with XP, so XP on it isn't a problem. But it has a non responsive hard drive and I'm trying to get the contents off of it. I figured I'd boot to Ubuntu to view the drive and bring data off, because 9/10 times when Windows can't see a drive, Linux still can.

I couldn't even use the latest stable distro of Ubuntu to boot to it. I had to download Ubuntu Jaunty which isn't going to be released till late April. It's in Alpha 2 stage. I had to use that to boot on this machine.

Unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom