Building my First PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

marisa406

Baseband Member
So I'm building my first PC and I don't even know where to start with parts.

I don't game, but I live, eat, and breathe my computer and it gets a lot of wear and tear. I'll want a system that can triple-boot Vista, Windows 7 Beta, and Ubuntu.

I'm probably be running Paint Shop, Photoshop, Visual Studio Professional & Express Editions, Expression Studio, Sony Audio Studio, Flash, Illustrator, and the usual day, work, life, and development programs.

Is $800 an unrealistic budget for a fast system with a lot of space? What parts do I need and which ones should I get?

I was thinking going QuadCore - since i7 is too expensive - I heard QuadCore will future proof stuff.

and also, what IS overclocking exactly? -making the CPU run faster than its supposed to? Do I want to do that?

Check out the thread by ssbaudi next to yours. He is planning a nice computer with an Intel quad core. If you don't game, you will be able to save quite a bit because you can get away with a cheap video card.

Overclocking simply means running your system at higher speeds and voltages than the parts are designed for. Unless you really enjoy tweaking things, monitoring temperatures, fiddling with your bios, and running benchmark programs, I'm not sure its worth it. Today's processors are fast enough without overclocking.

I think you could put together an intel quad core system for your budget. You might save by getting a micro-atx board. Without a monster video card, you can also save on the power supply. This might be a good motherboard to begin looking at:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

So what is included in that $800?

Is the $800 just the mobo, psu, video card, case? Or does it include an OS and a monitor as well?

no, I have a copy of vista Ultimate, and if it can include the monitor great, if not, it's okay.
What I really wanted to do is use my iMac as a monitor to reduce clutter on my desk, but I don't think that's possible.

Is this boys system good? It looks like its only got a 74GB hard drive and 2GB RAM, can I upgrade these easily? - he says he lost the key to the case. Is it a good CPU or something? It only has a 520 Watt Power Supply? Is that enough?

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail $190

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $100
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

RAM: $74
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

PowerSupply: $100 Do I need 650Watt? What wattage should I get?
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Corsair Memory, Inc. CMPSU-650TX

Case: $160 only if I get the 650Watt, this seems steep
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKA1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Real Power Pro 550W Power Supply - Computer Cases

That's a lot, so far.
How's this look? And what else do I need? do I need a fan? Which video, graphics, sound card?

As a heads up, PSUs that come with cases are usually crap. This one is your best bet:

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS500 500W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

The case is your preference, but around here, people seem to really like Antec. This is a good, inexpensive case:

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

It happens to be on sale, it's normally 60 bucks. Don't know how long that's gonna be going on.

The 6600 is a decent budget quad core, but it's getting pretty old. The 9300 is out of stock though, that's what I would have recommended...

Grab that RAM like, NOW. The MIR on it is massive, and it won't be there tomorrow. You have to order the RAM today if you want to get 35 bucks back, and it's got great timings on it.

This will give you the most space for your buck:

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive) - Internal Hard Drives

For monitors, I would recommend either one of these, they're close to the same cost:

Newegg.com - Acer X193W+BD Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2000:1 (ACM) - LCD Monitors
Newegg.com - Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 - LCD Monitors

As for a video card, I'm not that great trying to figure out the best budget video cards, but this one seems pretty good:

Newegg.com - MSI R4670-2D512 Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Someone else could probably come along and suggest a better budget card, since you won't really be gaming, but that's my suggestion.

So, depending on your monitor, this stuff with the CPU, mobo, and RAM you picked already would equal out to be either 861.68 (19") or 891.68 (22") with shipping before rebates. You get 80 bucks back in rebates, so whichever monitor you go with, you come out around your budget.

Your onboard sound should be fine to start with, if you absolutely need a nice sound card later due to music recording or something, you can add that later.

EDIT:

Like I mentioned earlier, grab that RAM today. Also, the PSU rebate ends after tomorrow, so grab the PSU too, quick. The other ones are until the end of the month. And they have to be postmarked by 21 days of the day of purchase, so hop to it quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom