First Build , Cpu Fan Probs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like CrazeD mentioned, you can unplug everything except your PSU and CPU and see if it will power up. If it does, then you can add components one at a time. Turn off the system before adding things though. Then reboot each time after each change. That way you can see what is causing the problem, hardware speaking.

Do u mean p.s. and mobo? The cpu fan plugs into mobo , doesn't have extenal power supply connectors. Just want to see if I'm clear.

PSU (Power supply unit, yes) and CPU (your processor). Sometimes the processor isn't quite seated all the way in. Try unhooking everything except the processor, the power supply and the fan connection. Power it up. Does it start ? No ? You could shut it back off, take the fan off, take out the CPU, reinstall the CPU (processor), apply thermal paste if you didnt already, the fan. Plug in the fan and power the computer back up again.

If that works, you can then power the pc down, and add your hard drive. Each time you add something though, power down first. You shouldn't hotswap things (plug stuff in while the computer is on).

That is a bit strange I think. But from the OP's earlier post that is what it sounds like is happening. Kinda weird.

I just noticed something...I have an OEM W.D caviar 640gb H.D., and it doesn't have a "jumper" setting thing...the plastic thing that tells it slave,master...etc.What's up with that? can it cause my issue with the fan?

It probably didn't come with a jumper on there. According to this Western Digital PDF file I found, you won't have a jumper.

They do ship SATA drives with jumpers (for enterprise storage solutions) but for standard desktops SATA drives do not need jumpers.

did you reseat your cpu?

if you didnt, try takin back off the cpu cooler and then reseat the cpu, make sure it is in there right.

if its an amd chip it should have a arrow in one of the corners on the top side of the chip, line taht up with the arrow on the chip mounting bracket.

its been years since i have dealt with a intel chip, so i cant help you here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom