Started up new PC for first time - it is freezing at this screen...(JPG inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

King$nake

In Runtime
I had to replace a faulty Hard Drive. I put the new one in a a little while ago and it booted up fine. I then shut off the computer before XP setup to re-arrange the SATA connections. I tried starting the PC again and it is freezing at the screen in the JPG every time...

Also - if it makes a difference, the Hard Drive is Master 0 and the DVD Drive is Slave 0 in the SATA ports...

Thanks

startup.jpg

DVD drive first and then your hard drive. Otherwise at that screen nothing will happen like you said. Then put a bootable CD/DVD in.

I fixed the boot order and it didn't help.

However - this is interesting. I completely unplugged the Hard Drive from the SATA port on the Motherboard (I left the Hard Drive power plugged in though). So the only SATA port being used was the DVD Drive.

I re-booted and it took me to the Windows Setup Screen! (XP Boot Disk was in drive).

So the boot screen only seems to freeze when the Hard Drive is plugged into the SATA port?

I should note that the first time I plugged in the new Hard Drive today, everything booted up just fine - but I turned it back off to re-arrange the SATA connection order (just a personal preference). When I turned the PC Back on, that is when the boot-up started freezing....And I have tried every SATA connection order between the Hard Drive and DVD drive since and haven't had any luck - until I finally unplugged the SATA connection from the Hard Drive

got it fixed! It WAS the CD-ROM in the Boot order. I thought I had set it, but when I just went back to double check the Boot Order - it was still set on Hard Disk. I set CD-ROM again and it started fine!

installing Windows XP now...moohahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom