New User to Liquid Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Difolo

In Runtime
Hey all I am currently in the process of building a new rig and was hoping someone could help me out with my heatsink problem. I am using an Intel Core i7 920 Socket 1366 and it seems there aren't many heatsinks for this socket yet, so what is your opinion on liquid cooling?

The i7 runs at 2.66 Ghz but I would really like to see it hit between 3.8-4.0 Ghz. I have also searched online for liquid cooling kits for socket 1366 but haven't found many. Can anyone suggest a liquid cooling kit for my socket?

If you want liquid cooling, I personally suggest putting together parts yourself, but you can get a decent kit too. It depends on what you're willing to spend. Whats your budget? I've got a pretty nice watercooling loop on my 920 and I run 3.8 stable all day. I could go higher too, I just don't see the need.

Oh and my Apogee GTX that I have for sale would do you nicely if you're interested, check my sig.

From the reading I have done (I am researching water cooling as well) the consensus appears to be that the apogee GTZ and the d-tek fuzion are the favorite cpu blocks at the time for the lga 1366. Both of them have adapter plates to mount on an i7. The GTX that Pinscher has would probably be nice as well.

Ya the GTX is just one step down from the GTZ and is still a very nice waterblock. It has the same adapter plate as the GTZ for 1366 so that is not a problem.

Hmm so you suggest building your water cooling kit yourself? I will look and see what I can find online, as I said Im new to water cooling and have no idea what components I would even need.

Swiftech 320 radiator, swiftech 655 pump, swiftech GTZ, some decent fans, masterklear tubing, and you're all set. I have had my 920 up to 4.3ghz so far with as much as 1.525v and never broke 60C. I'm going to push for 4.5ghz but i have a feeling i'm going to end up being limited by the bclk moreso than heat.

Swiftech 320 radiator, swiftech 655 pump, swiftech GTZ, some decent fans, masterklear tubing, and you're all set. I have had my 920 up to 4.3ghz so far with as much as 1.525v and never broke 60C. I'm going to push for 4.5ghz but i have a feeling i'm going to end up being limited by the bclk moreso than heat.

Awesome thanks for the suggestion...Im looking over swiftech right now and it looks like they have a lot of great gear. I will be running 2 GTX 280s in this machine and see here they have water blocks for the 280s as well. Would removing the fan heatsink and replacing it with a water block void an EVGA warranty?

How much would a decent water kit that handled a cpu and 2 video cards cost? Something that would give similar performance to a good air cooler like a sunbeam core contact.

Awesome thanks for the suggestion...Im looking over swiftech right now and it looks like they have a lot of great gear. I will be running 2 GTX 280s in this machine and see here they have water blocks for the 280s as well. Would removing the fan heatsink and replacing it with a water block void an EVGA warranty?

Only if you tell them.

I would suggest spending a bit of time researching and looking at other water cooling setups. The setup veedub is probably what I will end up going with although I was looking at the laing d5 pump instead. Petra's is a great shop to look at.

Some of the guys would know better than I but I am not sure that a single loop would sufficiently cool a cpu and 2 gtx 280's.

A Laing DDC with an aftermarket top will outperform a D5 in all situations.

To cool an i7 and 2 GTX280's your either looking at a dual radiator loop, or two separate loops.

I would consider at minimum 2x MCR320's in terms of radiators.

It would be better if you went with Thermochill PA120.3's or Feser 360's.

My aim is in my profile, hit me up and I'll be able to better answer your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom