Looking to build a lasting gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

firestorm6500

Beta member
Hey guys, Im looking to purchase a gaming PC that will actually last me atleast 3 years gaming-wise. I have a tendency to have multiple programs and processes running at once and would like a PC that can handle that as well. My budget is around $1500-$2000 but trying my best to stay away from $2000. I am not that confident in building it myself so I was thinking about taking the specs and plugging them into IBUYPOWER.com and going from there. Any advice? Alternatives? Thanks for all the posts in advance :D

Also I am not quite clear on the difference between i7 and quad core yet but it seems there isnt a huge difference for gaming

you can build ur own computer trust me, with a couple of tutorials its easy, and saves you alot of money in the long run.

i7 920
biostar tpowerx58
6gb gskill PK
640gb WD hdd
core 216 video card

thats about 1 g, leaves u plenty room for rest of your build

you can build ur own computer trust me, with a couple of tutorials its easy, and saves you alot of money in the long run.

i7 920
biostar tpowerx58
6gb gskill PK
640gb WD hdd
core 216 video card

thats about 1 g, leaves u plenty room for rest of your build

Looks great..

Maybe get the GTX 295? He's got room.. even though its made for insane res' like 2560, if he gets a large monitor why not!

a 1080p Monitor/ TV
Case of your Choice/ Optical Drive of your choice..
Corsair 850TX

Any build today can easily last you that long. My current build is about four years old. I have replaced the CPU and GFX card, increased the RAM and HD capacity, but it is the same build, still.

Get a decent base build and add as you need to add. It will last you a good ong time.

I play today's games, not the games of four years ago. It doesn't take the most expensive and newest to play.

Yeah, you can be slightly future proof, but i.e. you don't dont to upgrade, you'd be playing games with the same graphics quality. So you'd be playing games no less than CoD:4, and even some better games.

What the **** are you saying?

Graphics quality advances far quicker than hardware does, that's why the games of a year or two ago look significantly worse than the games of today even if you run on the same hardware.

My laptop has an 8600GT card in it, I play Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty World at War, Spore, among others and it handles them fine. Sure I may not be playing at superb quality settings, but it does what I need.

You don't need the latest hardware to play the latest games, if that were the case then game development would not be where it is today.

If you think about it, your build will play games the same quality it can now, so if you can play CoD: 4, you will be able to play games similar in the future.

What are you saying?

His rig was considered old when it was new?

His rig would have smoked anything Intel had out then, and it would have been considered a high-end rig with its x1950XT that was originally in there...

It started with a 7800GTX and a AMD 64 3200+... way too much money for that card... But, yes, it smoked anything Intel had on the market at the time. And did for quite a while.

Still not too shabby.

Isn't a 7800GTX to an x1950xt not that much of an upgrade?

But ya, either or those cards can play today's games pretty well...

that x1950xt is the second best DX9 card out there (after the x1950XTX, but you can OC the x1950XT to its speeds, but you don't have GDDR4) also before I get attacked about the 7950GX2, I'd like to mention that its support is crap and most games have little to no support for SLI, and it hasn't had much driver updates anyways

What I'm saying is, if your garphics card could play CS:S, when it came out with good frames, it could play L4D with good frames, because it's engine, and graphics are similar. You'd be playing with the same quality games.

Left 4 Dead may be run with the same engine but it is much more polished and looks loads better than CS:S which was designed to run on the worst hardware you can imagine, because that's it's fan base, 15 yr old potheads using their parents dell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom