Status
Not open for further replies.

John Whine

Beta member
Lenovo "Idea Center K210 Celeron
320 GB hard Drive / 2 GB Ram
Windows Vista Home Premium
New 2 wwks.

My vista crashed while I attempted to install Win XP (I had no idea how to do it)
The Vista refused to allow the XP install. I quit and attempted to ressurrect Vista, however, all I could get was the cursor blinking in the top left screen.
I tried the Lenovo Product Recovery DVD. the system appears to have locked all access to drives.

Is there a way to enter safe mode from the present situation?
I've tried f12 / ctrl-S / Enter . with no success.
Any assistance will be most appreciated.
Thanks
John.

how far to the xp install did you get? if your going to dual boot on one hdd it's better to install windows from oldest to newest. ex: XP then install Vista.

Lenovo "Idea Center K210 Celeron
320 GB hard Drive / 2 GB Ram
Windows Vista Home Premium
New 2 wwks.

My vista crashed while I attempted to install Win XP (I had no idea how to do it)
The Vista refused to allow the XP install. I quit and attempted to ressurrect Vista, however, all I could get was the cursor blinking in the top left screen.
I tried the Lenovo Product Recovery DVD. the system appears to have locked all access to drives.

Is there a way to enter safe mode from the present situation?
I've tried f12 / ctrl-S / Enter . with no success.
Any assistance will be most appreciated.
Thanks
John.

Were you trying to install XP when in Vista??!?!

You cannot install an older OS over a newer OS. You are going to have to use something like GPart to partition the hard drive, create another partition to install XP on it. After that install XP on the free / empty partition.

If you just want to get rid of Vista you are going to have to format the Vista partition and reinstall XP.

Either way you are going to have to change the boot priority from your hard drive to the CD/DVD drive. Then boot into the CD before Vista loads up.

From what it sounds like you tried to install XP where Vista was installed. If it even started the process there is no way to just roll back the effects of the install and get Vista back like it was before trying to install XP.

As Lex said there is no way to even start the XP install from within Vista.

Also being as such, you have to boot form the CD to start the XP install. Which does not have a single thing to do with Vista. So Vista would not prevent XP from being installed. Cause you booted from the XP CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom