Vista SP1? and XP SP3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevo808

In Runtime
Hey everyone, i was just wondering about Vista's service pack 1 stability compared to SP3 for XP. Is it safe to install SP1 for vista and not have any problems?? Also is it safe for everyone to install SP3 for XP now?? I work at a tech shop so i want to get updated on these service packs. So far i notice not much customers install sp3 and sp1, so i need some opinions.

Thanks,
Stevo808

When going to install any large service pack always manually create a system restore point regardless of which SP or version will see the install. Presently SP3 is on XP and SP2 beta is on Vista here not having any problems going on or seen later.

Initially when service packs are released they may see problems with certain premade systems like HP or Dell. Later any problems found are corrected. Presently you shouldn't have any problems by first disabling any 3rd party protections that are active to allow the updates to go on.

Some report improved performance after seeing SP1 for Vista installed. SP3 for XP contains over 1,000 fixes for the older version there.

Some report improved performance after seeing SP1 for Vista installed. SP3 for XP contains over 1,000 fixes for the older version there.

That's an understatement. A lot, if not all, people found SP1 to be faster, because it made Vista's processes more efficient.

In short: yes, its safe to install both Vista SP1 and XP SP3; it has been for a long time now.

That's an understatement. A lot, if not all, people found SP1 to be faster, because it made Vista's processes more efficient.

In short: yes, its safe to install both Vista SP1 and XP SP3; it has been for a long time now.

Unlike what was seen when first seeing SP2 and later SP3 go on XP so far I haven't noticed any particular performance boost but haven't seen any problems with it on or SP2 beta currently in use here.

I'm someone who saw nothing but negative issues after installing Vista SP1. Even when it worked, it felt slower.

You may have seen some new programs added along with new startups or could be seeing a need to defrag the hard drive or cleanup the system registry a little as a result of other problems seeing your system slowed down any. I would have noticed anything like that here right away if SP1 was a cause. With SP2 beta no problems seen as of yet.

Thanks for the info guys, as for SP2 beta version for vista i did see several customers come in with problems that was referring to SP2. I forgot the problems that was going on but i had to re-install the o/s to fix it. So far it sounds like SP3 is safe to install, anyone else have any opinions on it?

Supposedly the RTM for Vista's SP2 will be available in April. Here I'll simply roll back the beta version of that to see a finished service pack likely go on without a glitch. All this time however XP was always buggy to start with finally seeing much needed fixes in SP3.

I'll tell you something straight out if I still need XP for some softwares it would be long gone. I saw more errors come up in XP then seen with 98SE in the same amount of time since I still was able to run as a second OS on an older board up until 2006! That was the last board to see drivers for the old version there.

That's funny cause I've experiened 55 second restart times (from talking on AIM, to talking on AIM) with Vista pre SP1,and I've never crashed.

I haven't seen any noticable reduction in startup time with that and SP2 beta both on. Besides that however there haven't been any problem seeing them go on or later from having them installed. 7 however even now getting most programs on seems to load up faster for the most part with less lag when reaching the desktop waiting for things to finish loading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom