Network Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

beth_ann56

Beta member
The organization that I work for recently purchased a point of sale system to be installed at the front desk, which already has a PC that is connected to the sole ethernet port. I've been tasked with finding a solution to connecting both computers to the internet. Network security is important to both computers because financial information will pass through each (we considered hooking one of them up to the internet wirelessly, but there were some concerns about security over wireless internet). However, we're a very small organization with a teeny budget, so we have to find a cost-efficient solution.

I've browsed through network switches and I don't know enough to understand what specs are important to compare and ultimately find a secure but cost-efficient solution.

Any suggestions, advice or ideas?

Thank you!

Do you have a router or server that is giving out an IP to the computer? If not your best bet will be a router, so that you can use DHCP and both the computer and POS system can have IP's and access the internet.

If you have a system setup already for DHCP and static IP's, then my suggestion would be a simple switch. Nothing with 'intelligence' built in, just something to create multiple ports from one.

Either solution will be extremely cheap, a router (not wireless) will cost you about 50 bucks, and a simple switch will cost around 20.

I talked a guy that set up our server. He is not gung-ho about hooking up a network switch at that outlet because it makes things more complicated (?).

Any other suggestions as to how to connect the 2 computers to the internet securely using only 1 ethernet outlet? We do have wireless internet, but again, I am not sure about the security aspects involved with that.

Just grab a switch. Switches don't provide wireless, so it's not like somebody will see the wireless waves and hack into it.

The only way a switch would cause a vulnerability is if somebody brings in a laptop and plugs in directly to the switch and does what they want to do.

However, somebody could do that anyway just by simply disconnecting a computer and plugging it into their's regardless.

My advice?

Get a switch. Even a 4 port seems like it'll work. I use one at home, along with two on my desk at work right now.
Lock the doors at night.
You'll be all right.

^^^ Ditto.

If you already have wireless connectivity ("We do have wireless internet, but again, I am not sure about the security aspects involved with that."), you are using a router of some sort, or at least a wireless gateway. If you are concerned about security (and are not using the wireless), cut it off. Any encryption can be broken eventually, but they can't do anything if there is no signal being broadcast. Turning it off is normally a single selection in the setup page for the router/modem.

You can pick up a switch for less than $20.

WTF, 'not excited about it.' What isn't he excited about? The fact you came up with the idea yourself?

A switch (again one w/o intelligence) creates no 'extra' security threats that another user couldn't create themselves.

Honestly I don't understand why they aren't supportive of this. Let me guess, because he wants to run more wire through your office that will cost... say 400 bucks instead of a 20 dollar switch.

As long as the switch isn't intelligent it won't complicate a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom