i7 - Removing Stock Heatsink, putting on Aftermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so the heatsink came yesterday. When I'm taking the paste off the CPU after I take out the heatsink, do I just leave it in its socket and try not to leak the removing solution all over the motherboard (although I guess I'd have to be pretty clumsy to do that), or do I take it out of the socket, clean off the paste, put it back in, put on the new paste, put on the new heatsink?

I think most Intel stocks have been, from almost everybody I heard, pretty bad. I'm not entirely sure whether or not the i7 was an exception, but I don't think it was.

I got a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme; it's the best air cooling out for an i7 right now as far as I know.

The i7 stock cooler is pretty decent. I got my 920 up to 3.4 with it with very little temp gain. Its always best to get an aftermarket cooler though. I finally got my GTZ on the other day and now I'm sitting at a nice cool 22C idle @ 3.6

I don't know why everybody hasn't told Mike that this really isn't a big deal. I think you are making a very big deal out of taking this thing off. You take out the pins as instructed earlier and the heatsink just comes off. You don't have to ease it off like a baby. Just lift it up (don't yank it though just to be cautious obviously). I would suggest taking the cpu out of the socket when you're cleaning it. Just makes things easier.

Haha, I completely agree Pinscher. I'm a bit of a worry wart when it comes to doing stuff like this in general, but this thread did get a bit ridiculous.

Yeah, taking out the CPU to clean off the paste seemed to make sense.

EDIT: wow, 3.4 with the stock? And it was stable with ok temps? Think I can get 30s idle with the TRUE? Because that's sort of what I was expecting; this will be my first overclock though. I'm pretty sure I understand the basics, and 3.5 isn't asking all that much, especially with a nice aftermarket cooler.

Ya I was pretty impressed with the stock cooler. I was sitting at about 50C idle but I have read alot about things saying that the i7 can be completely stable all the way up to 70C (although I wouldn't want my cpu that high). You will be able to easily get 3.5 with the TRUE. I don't know about temps with the TRUE but I would say low 30s idle is a good bet, especially because the i7 doesn't seem to need much voltage increase until you get past about 4.0 I think. I got mine up to 4.0 and then stopped because I had to go do other stuff but my temps had only risen like 2C on idle and about the same gain on load.

Nice, I think I'll clock it up to 3.5 right off the bat, then knock up the voltage a bit, see how that goes. Especially since it can get up to 4 without that much of a voltage jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom