Help needed mixing 2 RAM modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blanchy

Baseband Member
ok in my system before i had a 256mb pc2700 module which worked fine

i then replaced that with a pc2100 512mb module which also works fine

I am trying to get both modules to work at the same time,

where i put the 256mb segment in slot 1 and the 512mb module in slot 2, the system stalls just before it would say how much system ram there is

when i put them in the other way round. the system remains blank and a long beep is heard.

Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks

The mobo is abit kv7

the 256mb pc2700 is i think matrix, well its branded from microdirect and ses matrix on it

the 512mb pc2100 is voata i think

amd athlon2400+
winxp

hmm, is there not a way of trying to get them to run at the same time

also i have considerably better performance with the pc2100 512mb stick, so using just the pc2700 is illogical?

also, if i cannot get these 2 ram sticks to work together, and i sell the 256mb pc2100, will i have a better chance of compatibility if i used ram of the same clock spped, ie pc2100

yeah the 2400+ XP has a 266FSB so your processor won't run higher than PC2100(266MHz) speeds. You're either gonna have to overclock or upgrade your processor if you want to get the most out of the PC2700(333MHz) or the max for the board would be PC3200(400MHz). It doesn't sound like you know enough about computers yet to try overclocking though.....mixing brand names CAN work cause I've got PC2700 Samsung 256mb stick mixed in with a 512mb PC3200 Kingston value ram running in the same board....the mobo just auto-sets the timings inbetween the two sticks lol. My CPU is also the 2400+ XP but my mobo has decided to run the memory at 199 (2x199 = 398MHZ) so its almost the full speed of the PC3200 I got...but it was running that fast just with the PC2700...

In Conclusion: Upgrade your memory and get the same brand cause it'll make for easire upgrading in the future. You can always start reading like a madman and try your hand at overclocking. Best chips for that are 2500+ XP Barton or the 35w 2400+ XP-M the M stands for MOBILE cause its meant for laptops but works in socket A motherboards for desktops too...great overclockers....their default is 11x166=1.83 I believe whereas our 2400+'s are 15x133=2GHz and our mutliplier is locked...depending on what chip of the 2500+ you get if you're extremely lucky you can get an unlocked chip...the 35w 2400+ XP-M's all come unlocked =) another reason they make for good overclocking.

Oh yeah forgot...you could check your RAM Frequencies..it could be that the PC2700 is trying to make the mobo default to its speed and the PC2100 can't handle that.....put in one working stick (the PC2700) if you can get into the BIOS change the frequency down to 133MHz instead of BY SPD is what it might be at right now...SAVE AND EXIT....then shut it back down..stick in the PC2100 and see if she boots

ye i was tryna to do that but i cant see wherabouts in the bios u shud change the ram speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom