Helping a friend upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
Recently I was talking to one of my friends and they said they were getting a new CPU for there computer so it would do better in games. I asked him what kind of CPU he had and it was an AMD 1.7GHz single core processor. He also has an Nvidia FX 5200 for a video card so I told him he would be better off upgrading his CPU, Motherboard, Video card and RAM. The budget is under $300, this is what I have for him so far, wanted to check to see if everything is the best possible and if there is anything better for under $300 please recommend.

Here is what I have so far:

Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASUS P5QL PRO LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Video Card: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100265L Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

So any combo of a CPU, Motherboard, RAM, and video card under $300 BEFORE MIR.

Thanks

May I know his PSU and case?
Make sure the case will mount the motherboard correctly and the PSU is sufficient enough for the new parts.

Not sure, some people just buy more watts then they need, wasen't sure it was a pre-built or a custom built.
He could have room, he could not.

Thats why I asked. ;)

Based of what John is assuming, you might need to make room for a new PSU, and the case is unknown.

There's a very low chance of custom built, because you have to be poor to buy a 1.7GHz AMD, with a PCI card. That's a $150 build..

Did you ever consider it could just be an old build...

Just because the parts are slow doesn't mean he built it yesterday because he was poor.

Heck, the 5200 also came in AGP flavors as well.

This PC came from before your era so I can't say I'm surprised...

Did you ever consider it could just be an old build...

Just because the parts are slow doesn't mean he built it yesterday because he was poor.

Heck, the 5200 also came in AGP flavors as well.

This PC came from before your era so I can't say I'm surprised...

Thats what I was thinking, but I didn't want any complications.

As for the build, I'm going to wait for the OP.
Until then I'll pull up a 300$ build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom