Sapphire 4870 512mb "Silent Effeciency" noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
So I've had this card ( Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards ) for a few weeks and when I first got it, it was quiet most the time (said ~40% fan) except for the occasional rpm ramp up in gaming. Well after about a week it started to sound like it was ramping up when just sitting at the desktop but the fan control meter in CCC would say it was still at 40% and the temps were always good. Well now the thing is freaking loud all the time unless I manually set it to 20% and even then its louder then when I first got it and it was claiming 40%. I would say the thing is louder at "40%" than my single slot 8800gt at 80% was.

So I was wondering does anybody else have one of these, and how loud is it to you?

Could it be I'm getting false readings and the thing is ramping up the rpm without saying it is? Note if set to auto it idles at 40% and 40c but if I manually set it to 20% it still runs 40c. Also it gets louder if manually set to 50% but typically will not go any louder than that even when set to 100%.

Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Dust? Maybe? Although i doubt that....

Umm, well I can say that the percentages your readout is giving you doesn't translate directly into RPM speeds but the voltage amount which isn't linearly proportional to the Rpm speed which could be why you get 40 c at both 20% and 40% settings. Well I'd consider a RMA if you could do without having it for a few weeks.

Further than that I'm not gonna be any help lol

You could re-flash the video bios with the Asus Top Bios that is floating around. I did it with both of mine and it worked perfectly... It raises your default clocks and also uses a much more efficient fan profile. No sudden ramp ups. Just slight increase in speed to control temps...

Becareful though if you do do it. At your own risk...

Changing to ASUS Top BIOS 4870 Only - techPowerUp! Forums

i wouldnt touch the bios on a 4870.
i had terrible problems with mine. of course, its a 1gb.

Like I said, at your own risk... I think this is for 512Mb only though... I was desperate though.. Having one is loud enough let alone two sounding like two jet turbines sitting next to you...

I would assume that voids the warranty. But if I flashed it then flashed it back would they be able to tell? Unless theres been a lot of 4870s exploding when flashed I'm ok with trying it since I've flashed a ati card before.

But do you think that would fix it if the problem is that its running twice as fast as it says it is? Could that be a bad sensor or maybe just the bios...

I would assume that voids the warranty. But if I flashed it then flashed it back would they be able to tell? Unless theres been a lot of 4870s exploding when flashed I'm ok with trying it since I've flashed a ati card before.

But do you think that would fix it if the problem is that its running twice as fast as it says it is? Could that be a bad sensor or maybe just the bios...

Couldn't tell ya... If your comfortable with flashing do it and see if it helps... I back up my bios up first though....

they couldnt tell if you were able to flash it back. if you were able to flash it back. i had a terrible scare with mine...i couldnt get it to take the original bios (i finally did). i had flashed a couple of 2900pros before that so i was like "no big deal". but...if you arent able to flash it back for whatever reason...presto chango 250 dollar paperweight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom