HardDrive Will not show up under "Hard Disk Drives"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poemaster

In Runtime
Hey I have not been here in months heh so I apologize for returning with a problem.

I just installed a new 500gb Western Digital etc. etc. IDE Hard Drive on an older computer I am getting up to date for my dad.

I installed the Hard drive and such actually replacing another Drive with this one.

When I go to format the drive and whatnot it does not appear on "My Computer" tab searching through Device Manager I can find the Drive but that doesn't really do me any good.

Now help me you **** geniouses.

Which version of Windows or OS are you trying to run on it? and what was used for partitioning and formatting the drive?

The newer larger capacity drive by itself may also be the problem if you are dealing with an old, old board that has a limited bios. You would either need to enable the LBA option in the bios or select "User Defined to manually enter 1023 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors for the drive parameters.

Before entering the bios however you may want to go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management to see if the drive is seen there and shows a healthy NTFS partition. Otherwise Windows can not assign a logical drive letter to it.

Apparently Windows is simply detecting a partition without a file system inplace like an NTFS partition. You see that when looking at Linux partitions on drives as well being a totally different file system there until you use a see Linux in Windows type utility.

Apparently Windows is simply detecting a partition without a file system inplace like an NTFS partition. You see that when looking at Linux partitions on drives as well being a totally different file system there until you use a see Linux in Windows type utility.

Considering this is a new drive, it'd be in RAW format. Nothing to do with Linux here.

Considering this is a new drive, it'd be in RAW format. Nothing to do with Linux here.

If you create a partition but forget to format it it will appear as a drive without a drive letter the same as you would expect to see when having a distro on a separate drive or partition in XP or Vista but not Win 7 apparently as you can see from the capture here with both Computer and the DM open.

I just installed a new 500gb Western Digital etc. etc. IDE Hard Drive on an older computer I am getting up to date for my dad.

Nowhere does it say anything about Linux in there. Not arguing that Linux partitions don't show up in Windows either, because no, they don't, unless you have a Linux partition reader (have one on my Vista laptop w/ Ubuntu so I can read across both partitions in both OS's).

He was asking why his drive wasn't showing up in My Computer, and that's because its still in a RAW filesystem. Not sure where you're going with your posts, eyeCpc...

Nowhere does it say anything about Linux in there. Not arguing that Linux partitions don't show up in Windows either, because no, they don't, unless you have a Linux partition reader (have one on my Vista laptop w/ Ubuntu so I can read across both partitions in both OS's).

He was asking why his drive wasn't showing up in My Computer, and that's because its still in a RAW filesystem. Not sure where you're going with your posts, eyeCpc...

If you happen to look at the DM there you'll notice one drive icon at the top not seeing a drive letter assigned to it. With an unformatted partition in MyComputer or Computer it would appear the same way. The drive/partition is seen but not ready for use or available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom