HD not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonderbox

Baseband Member
Alright guys i just finished building my first computer and everythings worked fine until i started installing windows vista...
When it gets to the screen when you select your drive it is not there...
I went back to the bios and it isnt being recognized either but my dvdrom is.
Ive tried using different sata cables that i know work and ive tried different power cables from the power supply.

So are there any more steps i can take to troubleshoot?

Only thing you haven't mentioned is switching sata ports on your motherboard. Try a couple different ones including the port your DVD drive is connected to. If it still isn't showing up return the hard drive.

Might sound stupid, but make sure it's powered. When you are installing Vista and you get to the drive selection you can click on "Load Drivers" or something similar. Then you can install the SATA drivers that came with your motherboard.

Well i would love to try your suggestion but for sum reason the system wont power on.
When i press the power button a light flashes on my motherboard and thats it.
Just 30 minutes ago it was up and running and i touch the case when i go to work on it.
I mean i only touched the hard drive when i was changing the cables so im just very frustrated that it worked and now it doesnt...

Could be a bad PSU too. You'll need to try another. The PSU could have been sending power only through certain wires and now not at all.

Alright well i just learned of the so called beep of death and my system was doing it but i didnt know what it meant.
So ill be rma ing back to newegg befor the 30 day oem thing runs out.
So now to the motherboard and psu, i have older systems i could try the power supply out of but im not entirely sure about trying that.
Now when i try to turn it on, There are 2 little lights on my mb that show system status and one of them blinks. When i flip the main power switch on the psu i hear it powering up and down I guess you could say.

Well heres whats going on what you guys think?

Antec earthwatts EA430 430W ATX12V v2.0 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM-DOA
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM

Im going to essential take it apart then put it back together to make sure everything is hooked up right and if nothing ill just Doa the board i guess.

Any other suggestions?

Alright i may have made a break through although i guess it should have been obvious.
So i took everything apart and thought ill check and see if the fans work so i plug them up to the power supply. Only the 2 case fans. Flip the switch and nothing im not sure but should the power supply fan have started up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom