I payed for 4gb of ram, only getting 2.96gb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This still confuses me actually with my example if its 3.5 before extra adressing I should only have 2.9gb and if its 4gb - 640mb then I should have 3360mb so how have 300mb got eaten up by addressing I am starting to think I may have a dead stick but surely that would result in a bios error.

It's 3.5GB AFTER the addressing space. Then, video memory takes away from system memory. 3584MB (3.5GB) - 640MB = 2944MB (2.875GB).

Like I said, it depends on what hardware you have as to how much is shown. Different hardware configurations and such can vary results.

This is why I think he has a beg, borrow, and steal video card. If he has 4gb of RAM and it's reading 3gb, then his video card should be using at least 512mb of the memory. I could be wrong, but that's what I think at least.

Well, on a 32bit OS I was only "showing" 2.75gb out of 4. I haven't checked it since I got this 260, but with 8800GTs SLI'd that's what it showed. I also have like 5 hard drives cranking. So from what I'm gathering, those would have memory addressed to them as well?

Just get vista home premium 64 then it'll read all 6gb of memory plus your 2gb+ of video memory...oh wait. :p

All of this would be simpler if he posted systems specs. Who knows, he may have a TurboCache enabled card (god forbid).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom