E6600 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby6600

Beta member
I have a striker 2 formula 780i motherboard, E6600 and a thermalright ultra 120-extreme heatsink. Current temps are at 35C normally and around 45C under load at stock speeds bit high I know but I didn't seat the heatsink properly so will reset and clean it off properly next week. Im trying to overclock to 3ghz but no matter how little I add to the fsb bios the bios won't save exit and restart properly. I have to press the power button forcibly turning it off then on next boot it comes up with a warning.

I am completely stuck!!! Tried just about every setting in the bios and nothing it just doesn't like it at all, at one point the bios said I was running at 2.8ghz but when I loaded vista and cpu-z to confirm this It said i was at stock 2.4ghz. I have turned off speed stepping in the bios but judging by cpu-z the speed is still varying with load... any ideas?

Sorry to bump such a necro post but no-one has helped me and I still can't get this processor to budge

So your bios isn't saving any changes you make?

If so, replace the small round coin sized battery on it.

That keeps power to the bios when the computer is unplugged and without it, your computer won't save changes to the bios.

I wish it was that simple, that was my first thought so I changed the multiplier and downclocked the cpu and it changed and stuck. It just won't budge up at all the ram is good, the temps are good, the motherboard is good, the cpu is a bit old but there should be some movement.

My guess is that your e6600 is bad...or not a good o.c.er. Did you buy it used? I've had mine for almost 2yrs{can't believe i haven't upgraded 8^( ....} and my top speed has always been 3.4ghz w/stock cooling. However, temps were always idle between 34c-43c. The latter temp is during the summer when my house gets very hot.
Right now, I've got my cpu at 3.1ghz and my current idle temp is 24c(ambient temp of 21c). When my ambient temp is around 18c my e6600 idle temp gets down to 17c. Pretty darn good IMO. I more comfortable at this speed and temp so I've decided to leave it there. 3.4ghz didn't make much of a difference in terms of performance, however, temp wise it wasn't good for the cpu.

Sorry to rant...but I think you don't have a very good cpu.

BTW, I once installed an after market cooler and my temps went sky high. I tried to reseat it and reapplied thermal paste but didn't help my temps. Went back to stock cooling and got it right back to 3.4ghz. Guess you can say I got a very good cpu. Oh, I've got plenty of air flowing through my case...very good airflow.

Good Luck!

I would be surprised if its really that bad an overclocker that it won't even jump 50mhz. Your temps are completely out of whack nu2duo to get those kinda of temps you would need watercooling you are probably killing your cpu. The cpu is first hand and 2 years old I haven't overclocked it before and as the average life of a cpu is 8 years I would be surprised if it has died already.

Is this site completely lacking overclocking gurus?

I would be surprised if its really that bad an overclocker that it won't even jump 50mhz. Your temps are completely out of whack nu2duo to get those kinda of temps you would need watercooling you are probably killing your cpu. The cpu is first hand and 2 years old I haven't overclocked it before and as the average life of a cpu is 8 years I would be surprised if it has died already.

Is this site completely lacking overclocking gurus?

It's difficult and a pain in the arse to try and remotely help someone overclock, especially when the fastest form of communication is via a forum.

Have you tried messing around with the Voltages and timings on the memory or did you just try raising the fsb with no other changes.

If that is the case, read through the overclocking guide and understand how to properly overclock.

If you do know what your doing and are still running into problems, chances are your motherboard needs to be rma'd. If you can, test another cpu in the board and see if you can overclock it.

-aspire

I haven't touched the memory timings I left it to auto until I could get a slight OC I did try upping the cpu voltage manually. I may try clearing the cmos this won't change the bios version right?

Read the overclocking guide in the sticky at the top of this forum.

And no, clearing the bios just sets it to default settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom