Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 or ES?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timaphillips

In Runtime
My computer is on its last legs at work and I need to replace my RAID drives. I work in SketchUp and CAD so performance is a must. Space wise, I will be more than fine with 250GB. I was about to buy a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 when I read a review that said their drive failed and customer service told them they should upgrade to the ES because the 7200.11 aren't designed to work in RAID situations. I use RAID mirrored settings for backing up purposes on my HP.

If you're talking about the 1.5tb drive failure in RAID, they came out with a firmware update to fix it.

Its called Raid1 :) I have had 2x500gb seagate barracuda 7200 drives in raid0 for 2 years I am not sure whether they are 11's or 10's mind. They come with a 5 year warranty and its rare for a seagate to die they are very reliable.Raid doesn't put any extra stress on the drive just on the southbridge which controls it.

Finally the 11's don't come in 250gb they are 320gb at the smallest I believe, the 10's do

Its called Raid1 :) I have had 2x500gb seagate barracuda 7200 drives in raid0 for 2 years I am not sure whether they are 11's or 10's mind. They come with a 5 year warranty and its rare for a seagate to die they are very reliable.Raid doesn't put any extra stress on the drive just on the southbridge which controls it.

Finally the 11's don't come in 250gb they are 320gb at the smallest I believe, the 10's do

Had a brain freeze on the RAID numbering so I used "mirrored." Same difference. Also, you're right, the 7200.11 comes in 320, not 250. The ES comes in 250. The cache is much larger on the Es though. Will this be a better choice for me and my needs anyway?

Well if you want ultimate data reliability then ssd in raid 6 but that would be rather expensive. Personally don't think the ES is justified for this use unless speed is a crucial element?

Well if you want ultimate data reliability then ssd in raid 6 but that would be rather expensive. Personally don't think the ES is justified for this use unless speed is a crucial element?

7200.11 it is then. It's a small business, RAID 6 is a bit of overkill until we stumble on a pile of gold. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom