Poor wireless internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invidious

Baseband Member
Hi all. I'm using a Range Plus Wireless PCI Adapter for my wireless Internet connection. Model no. WMP110

Linksys RangePlus Wireless PCI Adapter WMP110 - network adapter - Compare prices, reviews, user opinions - Shopper.com

It worked fantastic when I first got it. But now my connection is lower and I lagg horribly.

I'm searching for technical support right now since my box says award winning tech support 24 hours a day 7 days a week are available to assist, on the box, so I'm searching for that support right now from I guess Linksys.com.

Are there virus/spyware/whatever the reduce signal strength on your wireless connection to your router?

While I wait and persist for help through all that, I figure I will post here to see if anyone is kind enuogh to help me out since maybe they have dealt with the same or a similiar issue.

EDIT: well that customor service thing was a bust. They'll help me register, buy a warranty, and do some other things...but not help me lol. However, there are some FAQ like things I'm going to continue reading through.

I don't think it is a distance problem because it was good before...

In my experience, most of my wireless internet problems are caused by external sources such as a cordless phone (many cordless phones run on 2.4ghz, which is the same as wifi), microwave ovens also cause issues. Once i even found out that the huge coil of coaxial cable that i had sitting close to my router was causing issues, because it had a power injector on it and was creating an electromagnetic field. If you are seeing a drop in signal strength, odds are that it is an external issue. If you have good signal strength but poor connection speed, then it's probable on your pc (or someone elese is using up all your bandwidth). Is your router secured?

While spyware and programs could cause this lag, the router could also be the culprit. An easy way to determine this is go into your task manager and go to the networking tab. Now see if the computer or application is eating up bandwidth. If it isn't, then you can determine that this is a router issue. You could also run some virus / spyware applications (like spybot s&d) to determine this.

Update the firmware on the router - there should be some information on their website about updates and how to update it.

Our router requires a password, so it should be secure. I think that is what you were asking. If you meant is it physically fine, at the moment it seems to be fine where it is.

While spyware and programs could cause this lag, the router could also be the culprit. An easy way to determine this is go into your task manager and go to the networking tab. Now see if the computer or application is eating up bandwidth. If it isn't, then you can determine that this is a router issue. You could also run some virus / spyware applications (like spybot s&d) to determine this.

Update the firmware on the router - there should be some information on their website about updates and how to update it.

Nope, nothing wrong with the networking, 0% used.

I think, perhaps, I'm creating problems from no where and that the problems are just higher because I've switched roles on some of the things I used to do.

I am used to sudden connection drops, but they just seemed more frequent lately, and they seemed to be more than just the drops but like it was just plain slower, but I think it may simply be my normal connection that I'm seeing from a different view point. The "link speed" for my wireless network seems to be 54 Mbps.

It still feels slower, but it may not be, it may just be that something unknown beyond my influence is adding to the slower connections. Like what one of the previous posters said, it may be a phone or something.

Unless it becomes a major problem I'm just going to let it lay where it is for now.

Thank you all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom