Gaming Mouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm pretty convinced the G9x fits me pretty well, although I liked the G5 and it's on sale for like $27 at Best Buy so if I can't pocket the money for the G9 I might just take that instead

EDIT: although it does seem that Tigerdirect has the G9 on sale for a total of $66.69 for me (stupid sales tax)

Take the G5, that's a steal deal. you can get 2 G5's for the price of one.

lol i think it'd be safe to say that 3200dpi would be overkill on anything smaller than 19*12 huh? and yeh I've been meaning to make a Best Buy run, unfortunately Best Buy and the Ratshack are the only electronics stores worth meaning in good ole Wilmington so not much for exactly finding a good computer stop
I'm using 4000DPI in 1680x1050 (Razer Lachesis)

I own the following mice:
Logitech MX510, G3, G5, G5 2007, G7, and Razer Lachesis

MX510: descent baseline mouse, easy to use, but basically, you can do better.

G3: kind of a 'no frills' G5. It doesn't have the G5's shape, the adjustable weights, and you can only switch between two DPI settings using one button. But it uses a 2000DPI laser and is pretty accurate.

G5: 2000DPI laser, which you can switch between 3 DPI settings without installing the software, or 5 if you do install the software. Adjustable weights (which a lot of people consider pretty useless, though some people subjectively disagree), is easy to fit in the hand, and is a nice, accurate mouse to use.

G5 2007: addresses the only complaint I really had with the original G5, and adds an extra side button (so that you can now navigate forward as well as back in explorer or browser windows, or bind another action to it for games). Otherwise, the difference is essentially colour and grip.
Overall, I'd get this version of the G5, because I do find the extra button very useful.

G7: pretty much the only wireless mouse you should consider if you plan on gaming. It's essentially a G5 in wireless form, but without the adjustable weights (in its place, are swappable batteries, so you can charge one while using another).
Despite being wireless, it is a very fast and accurate mouse, and it is a serious contender in competitiveness.
My only two complaints are: 1. batteries don't last forever (which you have to expect from wireless anything), and 2. like the original G5, it only has one side button.

Lachesis: is the fastest and most accurate mouse of the lot, and has a total of 9 buttons.
It has an ambidexterous design, so if you're one of the few people who use a mouse in your left hand, this is the mouse for you.
Two of the side buttons (the ones you'd use with your thumb, whichever side it's on), are relatively easy to press, but the other two not as easy. So you'll probably want to bind these buttons to more passive commands.
Also, it's shape isn't easy to get used to, neither is its 4000DPI laser. And the vast majority of people (including the computer illiterate and those who simply browse the internet and check their emails) are probably not likely to be able to get used to it either.
However, if you're a gamer, you're a lot more likely to be one of the people that can, and it is a very fast and accurate mouse to use. Combined with the large amount of buttons makes it a great mouse for all sorts of games.
But just don't expect to instantly sweep away the rest as soon as you start using it. You really do have to take the time to get used to it.

I wanna get myself a G9, we sell them at work and from what i can feel inside the plastic it fits my hand perfectly.

Anyone comment on one? Dont wanna shell out an extra $30 over a G5 unless its worth it.

Haven't used a G9, but the G5 2007 is a very good mouse.
It may not be 3200DPI, or 4000DPI, but it kind of has a feel of reliability that I think is hard to match.

That's a very nice over view Apok. My equalizer is stuck somewhere in the middle of all of that feature-wise. It has the two thumb buttons for going forward and backwards in a browser and it also has the "triple threat" button. kinda cool. It only goes up to 2500dpi but I run at 1680x1050 screen so I don't think I need anymore. The dpi button is very easy to get to, and the mouse requires absolutely no drivers to use out of the box. Which is good for me because the installer failed to even launch in Vista x64.

I wanna get myself a G9, we sell them at work and from what i can feel inside the plastic it fits my hand perfectly.

Anyone comment on one? Dont wanna shell out an extra $30 over a G5 unless its worth it.

i had the logitech mx518 which is basically the G5 in optical form with less DPI, i loved my mx518, i recently upgraded to the logitech G9 and i love it more than my mx518, if your a low sensitivity user dont get a logitech G5 or G9 since they skip when you move the mouse fast, but if your a fast sensitivity user its brilliant, im using 800 DPI with it and i love it.

You get 2 shells with it, one rough, and one rly smooth, i use the rough one since i like it more, overall i love the mouse and its features such as the weight changing system since it wasnt heavy enough without the weights inside it.

Haven't used a G9, but the G5 2007 is a very good mouse.
It may not be 3200DPI, or 4000DPI, but it kind of has a feel of reliability that I think is hard to match.

like i said previously, the mx518 is the same as the G5 except DPI and optical things, and i think the G9 has just as good build quality as the mx518, and it feels rly durable to me.

i had the logitech mx518 which is basically the G5 in optical form with less DPI, i loved my mx518, i recently upgraded to the logitech G9 and i love it more than my mx518, if your a low sensitivity user dont get a logitech G5 or G9 since they skip when you move the mouse fast, but if your a fast sensitivity user its brilliant, im using 800 DPI with it and i love it.
I've never really understood why you'd want a low sensitivity. It just means you have to drag your mouse further to do the same thing.
I mean, if you really wanted a slower movement, you can still use a high DPI mouse, and just set software sensitivity lower. That would still be more accurate.

I don't think I've experienced 'skipping' of the mouse either.
Maybe I don't move my mice fast enough for it to happen; though I don't think you really need to move your mice fast when you have your sensitivity high.

like i said previously, the mx518 is the same as the G5 except DPI and optical things, and i think the G9 has just as good build quality as the mx518, and it feels rly durable to me.
When I said 'reliable', I wasn't really talking about durability or build quality.
It is high in that area, but what I meant was that, whenever you moved it, it responded exactly the way I wanted it to. Almost like it reads your mind.

That's a very nice over view Mak. My equalizer is stuck somewhere in the middle of all of that feature-wise. It has the two thumb buttons for going forward and backwards in a browser and it also has the "triple threat" button. kinda cool. It only goes up to 2500dpi but I run at 1680x1050 screen so I don't think I need anymore. The dpi button is very easy to get to, and the mouse requires absolutely no drivers to use out of the box. Which is good for me because the installer failed to even launch in Vista x64.

You should G3 a person with that triple-threat button on COD4 and you one hit KO :D

Its a rebranded A4Tech X-750F, whose look I like better.

Peripherals are all personal preference really. My friend has the Lachesis and i have the G5 rev2. I like the extra weight on my mouse and how its more curvy to fit in the palm of my hand. He likes his mouse because its lightweight and fits more to his longer fingers. On the flip side i have a Razer Lycosa and like it better than his G15. Go figure lol. On the higher end mice i wouldnt really worry about high DPI becasue most all of them have buttons to increase or decrease the sensitivity for bigger or smaller monitors.

I would have to say just get something thats in your price point and if you dont like it RMA it for the other brands equivalent. (Or store return, either way)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom