New build review

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrPaws

Baseband Member
This is a rough draft... Any suggestions for cutting cost, which isnt much more important over performance to me? Also, I will be getting extra fans and wires, anything else I am missing?
Thanks for the help.

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Western Digital Caviar 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

EVGA GeForce GTX 260

Creative 7.1 Channels PCI Express 1x Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

Antec 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply (Do i need this for $200?)

Tuniq TX-2

G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR2 800

EVGA TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Sunbeam 120mm CPU Cooler

Sunbeam RHK-EX-BA Rheobus-Extreme Fan Controller Panel

You could probably go for a 750W PSU if you can find one cheaper than that 850W, I'm running a very similar configuration with a Corsair TX-750, which I've never seen go above 500W (so go for a 600W as minimum).

However if you plan on getting another GTX260, you will probably want to go for that 850W.

Might consider the E8400, more bang and less buck, and right now quad core is kinda over kill IMO.

but not bad for a build... I would personally get 2 drives... one smaller one for the OS and programs and a bigger one for all my media... I;ve had too much bad luck with single point of failure on one drive. I usually get an 80GB for OS, then a 320 or better for programs, and media.

Ok, so i changed out the power supply for 750, added a 80gb hdd, and switched the processor. Any other recommendations? Thanks.

Get a Q6700 from a local store.. a HT Omega sound card, and a Gygabyte UD3P.
If you can get a Q6600 that's older, then go for that, because new batches stink. Maybe somewhere that has low sales?

Thanks for all the help guys! I completed my order, and ill post back after i build it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom