Single long BIOS beep - no post

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnlvr

Solid State Member
I need some help on an issue that is driving me crazy. I have a BioStar M7NCD Ultra motherboard ( http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=m7ncd+ultra )

It was running great with 3 sticks of memory when I purchased this online. I was downloading some stuff off the net and went to bed.

I came back in the morning to a black screen but the PC seemed to be running. No key combo would bring it out of the black screen. So I hit the reset button and I was presented with a single long BIOS beep (stops then repeats) but nothing else.

I have tried the memory in other machines, I have tried the graphics card in other machines - all functioning properly.

I purchased a brand new stick of DDR333 512mb of memory and placed this in the board - same results of the long bios beep.

I have reset the CMOS jumper, I have removed and replaced the battery - same long BIOS beep.

I have tried the normal "tricks of the trade" but still cannot get anything other than the single long BIOS beep, no picture, nothing beyond this beep.

Can anyone offer some help that can get my system back up and running?

I had this on an old pc and it turned out to be dodgy RAM, but seeing as urs works fine in another system it cant be that. Maybe the slot itself?

Have u tried changing the keyboard? a stuck one will cause a boot prob.
How is ur PSU? try swopping that if u can.

Other than that i cant help sorry

all other components ram, keyboard, video card, etc have been checked with another system.

Seeing as how the PS is barely 2 months old - I highly doubt that is the problem either.

I'm thinking the board itself or the 1st memory slot. - Biostar wants 30 dollars to do an RMA (shipping) and the place I bought it won't take it back due to being past the 30 days of purchase

Aright have you tried putting in ram without that first slot? You need to refer to your manual cause they don't just put those beeps in there for amusement.....they are to indicate to you exactly what the problem is.....could be your CPU...but it seems like I've been suggesting that to a lot of people...no way this many peoples CPU's are goin out lately!?!

same thing - I've tried all 4 slots with the same stick of memory I know functions (works in another PC)

There is nothing in the manual regarding beep codes - I did a search for just the word beep in the PDF manual - Total instances found 0

Doing a Search for bios shows it to be

Award legal Bios.
APM1.2.
ACPI.
USB Function

However running a test from a program similar to SiS shows that is is both award and Phoenix ???

Only thing I can tell on that note is that award was purchased by phoenix

Yeah actually....I swear I'm having Deja Vu...but the whole award purchased by phoenix sounds really familiar....kinda like this car that had both nissan and datsun stickers on it! lol But anyway...hmm.....the only thing I can say is your mobo makers knowledge base or finding a page regarding BEEP ERROR CODES or something of that nature.....my friend got all A+ Certified and had to know all that shit but now all he does is drink everyday so....yeah he doesn't know anymore =P

hmmm ive checked that manual aswell from the site that u provided drgnlvr.. but i dunno i cant seem to find any section on beep error codes on either manual.. isnt that strange =\

I have been through the variety of bios beep code pages prior to posting here. The best one (NOT) I read was at

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml#Award

Unfortunately there are many versions of the Award BIOS, and they are supported not by one company, but by the motherboard maker. Award's website states "Award Software software products are sold to a board or system manufacturer ("hardware vendor"), who customizes them further before selling the system. Award Software cannot supply upgrades for a BIOS that has been subsequently modified by hardware vendors."

Considering that the MB manual has no mention of the beep codes, kind of hard to troubleshoot. I was hoping to find another user that may have encountered this problem, and how they resolved it.

well....you've basically checked everything except the mobo itself and the CPU right? Last things to try out....first try a CPU....that doesn't work...your board is fuxored I guess =/

I saw that page about the 1 long Beep microBell

I will have to purchase a new CPU to test that option out, personally I think it is my first memory slot on the board or the board itself. That is why I tried to get an RMA from Biostar, but I'm not paying 30 dollars for shipping on a board that should still be within warrenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom