Dual-Booting, somewhat

Status
Not open for further replies.

lipton7

Solid State Member
So i have two hardrives in my case right now. One is connected by a SATA cable and the other is the Master on the "original" cable(i do not remember the name of them). I have XP installed on the SATA hdd and ive installed Vista on the "original" connection hdd. Whenever i boot up to the vista hdd it will restart itself. I have no idea why. could it be the slow speed of the hdd because it is an older hdd? I wasnt able to install any updates because it will restart itself before it installs them. I have no idea to do right now. any help would be much appreciated. :)

is this hdd from a previous pc where it was installed on there but never reinstalled on the pc your trying now. also full system specs are nice :wink: try a repair install

Sry, forgot about the specs, hehe. The HDD was installed from another computer. i had a fresh XP installation on that computer, but i took it out, put it into my computer and reformatted it and put Vista on it.

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+
650W PSU
EVGA 8800gt 512mb
M2N-SLi Deluxe mobo
4GB memory, 2GB Corsair and 2GB OCZ (Is that a problem to have two different brands of Ram? I have Dual-Channel on my mobo)
anymore specs needed?

This could be many factors. Could be your BIOS boot priority is set to the SATA Drive and when trying to boot to Vista it fails and reboots cause that is not the primary connection.

Could be that your Vista install has issues that need to be addressed. Can you even get to Vista Safe Mode?

Check the event viewer to see what is going on. If you can get into Vista in Safe Mode then there is a issue with the install that needs to be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom