Help my 7-year old comp out =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's definitely a Socket 462/A. The Athlon XP series died with the arrival of the socket 754.

You're somewhat in the same boat as me, actually, cause I'm stuck with the 754 myself...there are some cheap upgrades you can make and get some good performance for your buck. Here's the parts I was thinking about getting:

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA780G M2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS500 500W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

That's all $300.98 after shipping, and after rebates, $235.98.

If you want RAM with slightly better timings, you can grab these:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

No rebate, and costs 13 dollars more than the OCZs after rebate, but still worth it.

And hey, if you wanted to get a nice new case for all your new stuff, you can grab this:

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Unless you want to spend a little more money, then you can go for the 900 version, but you know.

EDIT: If you wanted to try overclocking, you'll want to grab an aftermarket cooler...you should probably do that anyway. Here's a good one, and the rebate more than pays for it...and it has it's own rebate, haha.

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom