Sony Vaio Laptop Ram Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSFrankenstein

Solid State Member
Hey all! In addition to Frankie (listed in my sig.), I have a Sony Vaio PCG-NVR23 with 256MB of DDR PC2100 SODIMM. I would like to upgrade its ram, but I can't get a straight answer about its max capacity. The documentation that came with it suggests that 512MB is max, but Sony's website says 1GB is the max. When I search online stores for ram, they seem to suggest that it will only take 512MB too. Does anyone know?

I would like to either put a 512MB stick in there with the original 256 or trade up to a full gig. Thanks for the help! Cheers!

My question to you is: Why do you want this extra RAM? The recommended RAM for Windows XP is 256. I would just upgrade to 512 if you have burning desire to. It can be costly and also you need to make absolutely sure that you get the exact same type. You may not be able to make the jump to the a stick of 1 GB because it is mostly like a SIMM. This means that you have to have 2 sticks of RAM to complete the station.

what they mean by 512max is that is the most you can have in one module

since you can have 2 modules, 1GB would be the max

and to jonesie . . . if you wanna run win xp with full settings and options, you shouldn't have less than 512mb of ram, 384 tops.

Jonesie, I want to bump the ram up a notch so that I can run XP faster as Koldapu mentioned...it actually does run fairly slow on this laptop. Matlab does also along with some other engineering-esque software I commonly use...

Koldapu, thank you for clarifying. So I should be able use 2x512MB for a total of 1GB. I have found ram that works in my model and it's not too expensive considering all the other pricey memory out there. Thanks for the help guys! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom