USB drive not wanting to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflehammer

Fully Optimized
bought a kingston 2gb USB drive to use but i'm having some issues. first thing i've tried doing is transfering itunes over to another computer. Formatted the drive to NTFS (the format of both computers). Put itunes on it, checked to make sure it worked on this computer. It did, worked fine. Put now on the other computer it just shows it as a default window icon (the kind it shows when it's not working). When opening the file it pops open a window that is black and goes away after about 3 seconds....what could be the problem and how would i fix it?

I want to know your definition of "transferring iTunes to another computer". Are you trying to copy an installation, or a setup file?

Try formatting it as FAT32, not NTFS.

Does your second computer see the thumbdrive? Can you open it and see the files?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think you can transfer itunes songs from one computer to another just like that. Its been a loooong time since Ive used itunes.

the setup.exe file.

^^^ i tried FAT32 first, didn't work that's why i tried NTFS. Not wanting to do songs, just the set up.

Second computer sees the thumbdrive, can open it, but the setup file doesn't work. But for some reason it will allow the transfer of pictures just not .exe files :|

Try formatting it as FAT32, not NTFS.

Does your second computer see the thumbdrive? Can you open it and see the files?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think you can transfer itunes songs from one computer to another just like that. Its been a loooong time since Ive used itunes.

Waffle, I wonder if he is right. Mak once mentioned Vista not seeing a thumb drive he had until it was formatted to FAT 32. Only a stab in the dark. Are you using Vista ? It seems that if both systems are NTFS, and formatting the thumb with NTFS you should be ok I would think. But I wonder if you tried FAT32 just to see.

^^^ as said above i tried FAT 32 first. This computer (one i'm taking it from) is NTFS and vista the other computer is NTFS XP

I just went ahead and put in on a disk..it worked that way. but the issue still stands, it'll let me transfer pictures but not .exe files...

^^^ as said above i tried FAT 32 first. This computer (one i'm taking it from) is NTFS and vista the other computer is NTFS XP

I just went ahead and put in on a disk..it worked that way. but the issue still stands, it'll let me transfer pictures but not .exe files...

Sorry I missed that you tried FAT32 already. Geez I dont know then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom