Upgrading advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
Hey all, I finished this build a few months ago, and I'm wondering what I should upgrade next; any advice?

Case - CoolerMaster HAF 932
Mobo - Asus P5N-D
RAM - 2GB Corsair 800 XMS2 Dominator
CPU - Intel Q6600, not OCed yet
GPU - XFX GTX260 XXX Edition
PSU - Corsair 750-TX
HDD - Some random 80GB
ODDs - Random DVD burner, another random DVD-ROM
Sound - Cambridge Soundworks 5.1, no (functional) sound card
OS - 32-bit XP pro

I game quite a bit, on Dead Space right now.

Also, is it really worth me OCing my Q6600 or is it just fine the way it is for my needs? As in, will it provide any really worthwhile performance benefits?

What do you have for aftermarket heatsink. Sounds like you plan to overclock and of course it is worth it.
Storage hard drive.
Second GPU for SLI.
Sound Card.

How much do you have for upgrades?

I'd say upgrade your mobo to handle higher ram speeds, then go for ram after that... you can only handle up to ddr2 800... no higher...

I have about £100 (~$150) right now (so not much), this is my heatsink; the case itself also has incredibly good cooling.

I guess I'll probably go for a 1TB HDD, or RAID two 500GB, if I go for the hard drive option (would love an SSD, but don't quite have the money for it :p).

I would go for more RAM, but I'm pretty much at my limit already with about 3GB including vram, and a 64-bit OS for gaming would be beyond my budget really (I use 64-bit ubuntu, not much use for most gaming tho).

Is a sound card really worth it? I used to have a soundcard but it died on me a while ago, so then I started using the 7.1 on my motherboard, which actually sounded a little better imo. If it is really worth it, do you recommend any good brands?

A second GPU would be a tad expensive for me, I'm 16 with a £10-a-week income :p Would it have to be another GTX260 or could I have an 8800/9800?

--
I'd say upgrade your mobo to handle higher ram speeds, then go for ram after that... you can only handle up to ddr2 800... no higher...

According to the specs I can OC up to 1066, how much difference is there between 800/1066?

big enough to want to upgrade... I looked on Asus and all they said was up to 800, but if it will go higher... then I would upgrade the ram.

If you are going for data storage just do not get 2 500gb drives for raid0 (1tb) you would want raid1 (500gb). With that said just get a single 750gb hard drive. Most gb for the dollar (or pound) right now.

Hmm I think if I go for the HDD options, it'd most likely be two 500GB in raid0, nice and secure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom